REVO receiver keeps on randomly playing horn

Mike Gilchrist
Associate Member

REVO receiver keeps on randomly playing horn

Post by Mike Gilchrist » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:14 pm

Hi there, I have a little puzzler...

I have an Accucraft C16 battery powered loco setup using a REVO receiver with steam sound.
There is a reed magnet sensor/trigger for the chuff only on one of the tender axles.
The 'horn' function is on 'momentary'.
Everything works fine.... but... the horn will play at random even though I have not pressed the function button.
It does work when I press the button.
Is there something that I have done to make it fire off at random? I didn't think that the receiver had this 'random' option.

Of course I can turn all sounds off when the horn becomes unbearable...which can be very quickly!

hutch
Associate Member

Re: REVO receiver keeps on randomly playing horn

Post by hutch » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:58 pm

Although I have no experience with Accucraft, my experience in industry with reed switches is that they go intermittent and seldom have a solid failure. So, disconnect it first, (hopefully pluggable) before digging really deep. Usually reed switches are cheap.
Just my opinion, didn't cost you much, so may not be worth much. :rolleyes:

smcgill
Associate Member

Post by smcgill » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:32 pm

Some times sounds get triggered with power fluctuations (dirty track) :o

zullo74
Associate Member

Post by zullo74 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:16 am

Shouldn't the "steam sound" have a whistle and not a horn? Just saying. :lol:

Paul Norton
Associate Member

Post by Paul Norton » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:41 pm

The early Revolution receivers were programmed to sound the horn when starting a diesel from a stop or when the locomotive passed 20% power.

Our club suggested a number of programming improvements for the Revolution. One of them was to eliminate the automatically triggered horn toots because they were annoying when we were operating. That was done by Crest shortly before Aristo-Craft closed their doors.

I don't remember whether or not the steam sounds were the same. Unfortunately I recently sold my Pacific to a friend, and our operating season is over.