The Winchester & Western Price IS!

Discussion forum for Fall ECLSTS.
Harry Hartman
Associate Member

The Winchester & Western Price IS!

Post by Harry Hartman » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:56 am

We have just received word that the Winchester & Western Covered Hopper for the FALL ECLSTS,
September 25th and 26th, will be $50.00 a car.
This show will be at the York Fair Grounds, in the Memorial Halls.
If you are looking for 'GPS' info to get you there, set your 'GPS' for
334 Carlisle Ave, York, PA 17404.
I dont know how they do it, but Team Aristo has out done themselves AGAIN on this car. What a beautiful looking car.

Remember;
You asked for a different style of show car,
This car comes with METAL WHEELS,
This car will be available in 4 (FOUR) road numbers,
AND,
This is the first time this car comes from the factory with MODEREN FREIGHT TRUCKS.

ALL that for $50.00 a car.

You have to be there, at the show to purchase these great looking cars. NO MAIL ORDERS, NO PHONE ORDERS, and No calling ahead to save you a set till you get there. I KNOW I will be there to pick up my set of Winchester $ Western Covered Hoppers, I hope you will be there too.

Harry Hartman
Associate Member

Road numbers for Winchester & Western

Post by Harry Hartman » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:46 am

As stated above, there will be 4 road numbers for the Winchester & Western Covered Hopper.

Those road numbers will be
4002, 4003, 4007, and 4010

KenBurkinshaw
Associate Member

Post by KenBurkinshaw » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:37 am

Harry

How many of those hoppers does that sand mining company own? I have a couple of film clips, and have never seen more than four of those cars in any clip, LOL I'm not complaining, it is a distinctive paint scheme, and I will buy a couple, but do you think you could find a smaller rail company next time? :D (One of the clips refers to an NJ division, ????)

Harry Hartman
Associate Member

Post by Harry Hartman » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:51 pm

Ken,

I have seen as many as 20 of those sand cars sitting on a siding in Hancock, Maryland waiting for CSX to pick them up. I live near Cumberland, Md and I often see those cars going through the yards, granted they are older designed cars, Winchester & Western has many more covered hoppers but the Yellow and Blue was the most striking.

As for the show cars, we are trying to find an attractive looking car, a car that has not already been produced in the regular line or as a show car before. We are always looking for something unusual and / or striking to produce for the show in hopes that it will "draw" some more people to the show. Some of the short lines have very attractive looking cars. Cars that are part of the stock run do not sell well at the shows. It is difficult to find a show car that will appeal to the many.

I have seen some "what if" designs on some cars and they look great (what if the RR did paint it that way, but they didn't) and in talking with people at the shows.... most would NOT like nor buy them. One that comes to my mind is (and I dont know if they did or did not paint one this way) WHAT IF the SOO LINE painted one of the open hoppers (100 ton or shorty offset) the same design as the box car.... (White body, Black lettering and black ends with a Red panel in it) That would be a striking car and go along with and kind of match the stock Box Car and Gondola. (Just a wild idea)

Anyway Ken, thanks for your interest in our shows and the show cars. We are always looking for input to make the shows better and a draw.

smcgill
Associate Member

Post by smcgill » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:48 pm

Thank You!!!!!!! Sean
Sean McGillicuddy ( B&M still lives)

Ward Hutton
Associate Member

Post by Ward Hutton » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:25 am

Ken,
WW has a yard in Bridgeton NJ and serves industries in Bridgeton, Vineland, Millville and south of those towns. It also provides repair services to east coast tourist and museum railroads.
The interchange yard with CSX/NS shared services is in Millville. There are several sand mining companies south of those towns that are served by the WW as well as glass companies, propane distributors and agriculture. They also deliver bulk paper rolls, steel and lumber to local distributors.

I see these cars almost daily in Millville at the interchange yard but they are in the minority. Most of the WW sand cars are still the tan w/ black lettering. I believe the yellow paint is only 3-4 years old, at least here in SJ.

PS-Harry, thanks for thinking about us GPS users. It used to be all someone wanted was a phone number. Now we don't need the number, just the address.
Regards,
Ward
www.golddawg.com "The Last Thing I Need Is More Trains. On The Other Hand, I Want More Trains!"

KenBurkinshaw
Associate Member

Post by KenBurkinshaw » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:41 pm

Since my original posting, I have done a little research, and it is a a bigger operation than at the time the clips were filmed. At the time the film clips I have were made, it was a fifty mile long short line with two very used RS-11's, and a burned down engine maintenance facility. Is the railroad still a wholly owned subsidiary of the sand mining company? As I originally stated it is a very distinctive paint scheme, and I look forward to getting a couple. I really like the fact that it has current trucks. See you in the Fall.

Ward Hutton
Associate Member

Post by Ward Hutton » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:07 pm

Ken,
The WW is wholly owned by Unimin Company. Unimin is one of the biggest family owned mining companies in the world. Sand, dolomite and nephyline syenite are only three of their products. They have mines in the US, Canada as well as overseas. The WW RR is in South Jersey and West Virginia. Locally they run GP7 and GP9s.
I have some more info on the cars which I feel should be in a seperate thread, which I will be posting shortly.
Regards,
Ward
www.golddawg.com "The Last Thing I Need Is More Trains. On The Other Hand, I Want More Trains!"

Alan Lott
Associate Member

Post by Alan Lott » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:03 pm

Ward Hutton wrote:Ken,

I have some more info on the cars which I feel should be in a seperate thread, which I will be posting shortly.
I, for one, look forward to reading that Ward.
Alan
Member OVGRS

http://www.dartmouthrailriver.co.uk
http://www.buckfast.org.uk
Learn from the mistakes of others. You can’t live long enough to make them all yourself.
Eleanor Roosevelt
US diplomat & reformer (1884 - 1962)

Harry Hartman
Associate Member

Post by Harry Hartman » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:12 pm

Go right ahead Ward and post it..... I look forward to reading it! and you can post it on here if you like. I see nothing wrong with posting it in this thread.

Thanks for researching it for us.

HH