Mikes CNR

Doug Cannon
Associate Member

Re: Mikes CNR

Post by Doug Cannon » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:32 am

Ahhhhh snowplow time !

Or was it after the freezing rain, as reported for some locales north of here ?

Thanks for sharing your rwy pics !

doug c
" G-gauge may not RULE, But it GROWS on Ya !! " djc'99

Mike Gibson
Associate Member

Post by Mike Gibson » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:35 pm

It's heavy and thick like concrete. Sadly the plow doesn't have a chance of clearing this.

twolfe
Associate Member

Post by twolfe » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:37 pm

Mike,
I'm 15 minutes east of you and sadly agree, the snow's too wet and heavy, lets hope the mercury rises a bit in the near future.
Terry W
Alberta, CA
Terry W
Aikenknees Rlwy
Alberta, Canada

Mike Gibson
Associate Member

Post by Mike Gibson » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:32 pm

Hey Terry! Had no idea anyone on here was so close! :cool:

twolfe
Associate Member

Post by twolfe » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:08 pm

Mike,
Near Ft Saskatchewan, with this warm weather, planning on one last open house for the Cubs and Scouts.
If it can be arranged in time, I'll send you a PM.
Terry
Terry W
Aikenknees Rlwy
Alberta, Canada

R.J DeBerg
Associate Member

Post by R.J DeBerg » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:52 pm

Pretty good cover of snow. I sure don't miss it just like viewing other folks snow covered RR. Later RJD
President and Chief Engr Dakota and Southern

Mike Gibson
Associate Member

Post by Mike Gibson » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:19 pm

Absolutely Terry. Let me know if you do have an open house. Even if it ends up in the spring.

So on the topic of plowing snow… now that I have the engine house I thinking of leaving my plow with my FA-B diesels outside for the winter. Just open the doors and do my plow run without worrying about warm wheels icing up. I’m just not sure about having them sit through -20 to -30 degree C temperatures. Probably shouldn’t hurt anything if I’m not actually running when it’s that cold.

Doug Cannon
Associate Member

Post by Doug Cannon » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:45 pm

I can't recall mention on electronics thru storage in cooold temps (under cover).

Not a issue for the RBR, ince I have the convenience of a unheated porch within 2ft. of a section of the mainline).

I sweep aside just enough (couple feet maybe) to transfer the snowplow lashup (that are on ready mode for the season) and then pop into the garage to swing out the transformer 'platform'. Then work the snow, and if the plow can't clear it the crew heads back in where it is warm and safe till snow conditions change !

Doug c

Ps. At the moment no snow accumulation on the rail heads, just lite dusting on the surrounding organics and other 'materials'.
" G-gauge may not RULE, But it GROWS on Ya !! " djc'99

twolfe
Associate Member

Post by twolfe » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:57 am

Hi Mike,
A year or so back I had discussed the impact of leaving printed circuits out in sub-freezing temperatures with a rep from the local "The Source" store and was told there could be a remote chance of a circuit board cracking. However all our vehicles with their fancy computers and other things sit out in the cold all the time.
My biggest concerns when operating in temperatures below freezing is the white grease in the gear boxes. I have had one split and break the gear on the axle a winter back.
I therefore have winter locomotive storage in a garage that is maintained just above freezing. I do however keep the plow out in the cold so that snow will not stick to the blade.
I have replaced all my locomotive gearbox lubricants with a synthetic white grease, it doesn't harden up in the cold.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWwoJzPx1b0

Regards
Terry
Terry W
Aikenknees Rlwy
Alberta, Canada

Mike Gibson
Associate Member

Post by Mike Gibson » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:28 am

Finally after a long cold snap it warmed up on Sunday. I decided it was plow time. :D
https://youtu.be/2qkAVSGXDoc