Mikes CNR

Mike Gibson
Associate Member

Re: Mikes CNR

Post by Mike Gibson » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:33 pm

I got a lot of work done yesterday. I'm a bit crippled today but I emptied all the gravel out of the trailer. With the exception of a few pieces of flag stone for path stepping stones to get to my switches, the train area is done for rock and gravel. From here on is the task of adding buildings and other items of visual interest (I've been working on the engine shed when I have time).

Now I'm on to putting in the gravel for the flag stone patio and path to the hot tub, and finishing up the edging. Then about 3000-4000 lb of 2" black rundle flag stone to finish it off.

MParsons
Associate Member

Post by MParsons » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:37 pm

I have been following your saga with absolute amazement. But I have to ask -- I see in the background an open field not yet exploited. When do you install the "other division" over there? And I am waiting to see the interlock for the two divisions.

smcgill
Associate Member

Post by smcgill » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:50 am

That Hot tub must be a god send after moving all that stone!
Sitting in the Hot tub having a brew watching the trains .. Envious! :o

Mike Gibson
Associate Member

Post by Mike Gibson » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:03 pm

MParsons wrote:I have been following your saga with absolute amazement. But I have to ask -- I see in the background an open field not yet exploited. When do you install the "other division" over there? And I am waiting to see the interlock for the two divisions.
Thank you. I certainly have no lack of space for expansion. I’m only limited by my wallet and the amount of abuse my body can take. I talked earlier about a phase 2, but I made some choices with this layout that complicated the expansion plan as I had it. I’m certainly happy with where this project is at (both size and progress), but after I have some time to relax and think who knows.
smcgill wrote:That Hot tub must be a god send after moving all that stone!
Sitting in the Hot tub having a brew watching the trains .. Envious! :o
It is great! Hoping to do some of that this weekend. I also enjoy early mornings sitting in the patio chair with my coffee. So relaxing either way.

Mike Gibson
Associate Member

Post by Mike Gibson » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:12 pm

I finished painting the frame for the engine shed so I decided I should do a “test fit” on the track. I still need to give the roof a coat of flat black paint and start putting on the walls. I purposely made the shed long enough to get my mallet inside. Giving me the option of not having to bring that beast in every night. It's also nice and heavy so the wind won’t move it anywhere.

Keith Stratton
Associate Member

Post by Keith Stratton » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:25 am

Alberta in the summer... nothing quite like it. Used to live in Millet, then Wetaskiwin then Leduc... now live in Houston, TX. What town near Edmonton do you live near Mike? By the way, like so many others have said, you do really nice, well thought out work!

Mike Gibson
Associate Member

Post by Mike Gibson » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:12 pm

Thanks Keith! I’m 5-10 minutes north of Edmonton just by Namao. I grew up out here and I built a house on the family quarter about 10 years ago. I’ve traveled to Houston several times for work. Just too hot and humid for me, but I guess I’d get used to it, eventually. :D

Keith Stratton
Associate Member

Post by Keith Stratton » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:11 pm

Been down here for 18 years this October so I'm kinda used to it! The spring & fall here are like Canadian summers so I'm cool with that. If you get a chance to get down here in the future and have any spare time I could show you some very nice layouts in the greater Houston area. Our club is called the Houston Area G Gaugers (HAGG) and the website is houstonagg.com so you should check us out. Some videos of my layout are on YouTube if you look up KD Rail.

I can almost guarantee that once you have your layout finished with buildings etc, you'll get the expansion itch within a year, and all that property will be just'a waiting' on you!

Mike Gibson
Associate Member

Post by Mike Gibson » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:48 pm

Nice videos Keith. Your probably right I'll get the itch sooner or later. :D

Mike Gibson
Associate Member

Post by Mike Gibson » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:19 am

Well I've been working away. I've reached the end of my never ending and evolving project. This phase anyway. I can work on the extras, without feeling under pressure to get things done. I can sit back and enjoy instead of shovelling rock. :D

Just a bit off backfilling and re-seed some grass. I have certainly appreciated all the comments and encouragement over the last few years. Thank you.