Replies Permitted

Jonathan Polk

Replies Permitted

Post by Jonathan Polk » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:56 am

Dear all,

Replies are now permitted in this section. Feel free to post responses to pictures here!

Thanks,

Jonathan Polk
Aristo-Craft Trains

KenBurkinshaw
Associate Member

Post by KenBurkinshaw » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:38 pm

That's to bad. The previous idea was a pretty good one, it's a shame we'll have to wade thru a bunch of **** to see the nice pictures. Oh well, Life is change. In my opinion, not everything in our lives has to be instantly commented on. The pictures and videos stand well by themselves. It seems everything in our lives has to be cluttered with noise. Is constant communication really an addition to our lives? Sometimes quiet contemplation has it's merits too.

For many folks their model railroads are an expression of their personal art. (I'm no longer one of them, I treat it as play). By the time they get the models to a point they feel they can share their "Art", they've invested many hours both in the construction and in the photography. Is it really fair to marry Kenny's 10 second impression permanently with this labor of love. Many of us on this forum comment on everything. I guess that's what the forum is for, but does it really add to the beauty of the art???

The only problem with the previous arrangement, was someone, new to the forum, who didn't bother to read the rules. Ahh, so sad, they got confused for a second.

I guess the new arrangement will allow everyone to instantly express their admiration, comment on the cute kid, and ask why the ties are so close together. This section of the forum will now be exactly the same as every other section of the forum. Why bother?

Wouldn't it have been more constructive to just advise anyone who felt a need to ask a question, or post a comment about the picture forum to just preface the first comment on the general forum with the title of the picture thread being commented on ? I for one, found it easy, to look back thru the picture forum to be inspired...or to find a particular picture of someones' work easily, because of the brevity of the picture threads. I could in the past, instantly follow the growth of Alan Lott's railroad. Now that history will all be lost in the clutter and noise of questionable value comment.

R.J DeBerg
Associate Member

Post by R.J DeBerg » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:11 pm

Previous may have been good but it had draw backs like anything else. Lets see how this works out sure will save a little time from jumping from one place to another to add a reply. Later RJD
President and Chief Engr Dakota and Southern

Charlie Z
Associate Member

Post by Charlie Z » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:55 pm

I, for one, am happy to see this new approach to a discussion. Now when someone posts a video, photo, or refidgerator art we can directly refer to it. This is not only good for the immediate feedback (you don't have to read two places at once) but also for historical. If I go back through the photos and I find a great thing I would have to do more research to find when it was talked about in a completely seperate section.

I used to think about going back to my photo/video posts and making an add-on post saying something like "Discussion is here" and linking to the other thread. This eliminates that need.

It would have been one thing if we had a specific photo gallery that our photos were put into where visitors could flip through them without comments from the peanut gallery, but that's not really what the photo/video section was anyway.

Doug Cannon
Associate Member

Post by Doug Cannon » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:06 am

Thanks J.P. !

R.J DeBerg
Associate Member

Post by R.J DeBerg » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:43 pm

Well I for one like the way this has turned out. Great help and much, much easier to post to the posters. :D Later RJD
President and Chief Engr Dakota and Southern