Oliver & North Fork Railroad

Joe Lienau
Associate Member

Re: Oliver & North Fork Railroad

Post by Joe Lienau » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:06 am

Hi Alan,
Its been several months since I've been on the Aristo Craft forum site. Its always nice to see what the members have been up to. I run my trains every month, even when the weather is crummy. I did go to the convention in Denver this year and had a good time. We saw a few of the other Aristo Craft forum members there also. I'm still working on a refrigerator car icing facility which I started a few years ago. I'm in the finishing stage now. One of these days I'll post a picture on the forum. It is ten feet long, not sure what that works out in metric numbers.
Regards'
Joe Lienau

Alan Lott
Associate Member

Post by Alan Lott » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:18 pm

Hi Joe,

It would be great to see a pic of your icing facility. I have seen one before in GR magazine and realize the amount of work required to model such a facility. I am fine with feet - although we had metric foisted on us some years ago so kids only know metric. :eek:

With a ten foot facility I hope you have a few reefers to service at it. I have two IC Aristo reefers (from the 2006 MIDWEST LTS which did not take place). I love them and they have beautiful wheels and seem a little heavier than the later productions of boxcars.
Alan
Member OVGRS

http://www.dartmouthrailriver.co.uk
http://www.buckfast.org.uk
Learn from the mistakes of others. You can’t live long enough to make them all yourself.
Eleanor Roosevelt
US diplomat & reformer (1884 - 1962)

Alan Lott
Associate Member

Post by Alan Lott » Wed May 04, 2016 2:34 pm

The weather, despite a cool wind, has been reasonable lately with little rain. Over the last month we have been attending to various parts of the garden and a pool so finally some attention has been devoted to the ROW of the O&NF railroad.
Little needed doing except trimming some plant growth back, pricking out seedlings from the ballast (a great germination place) and tidying up in general. A couple of structure repairs - plastic roof on flag stop depot needed renewal and the switchmans box repainted so little needed to be done.
As Aristo couplers are now rare I decided to remove those which I had fitted to five permanently coupled Bachmann 3-bay coal hoppers and replace them with Bachmann ones. This will give me eight spare Aristo couplers if and when needed. The two end cars will keep Aristo coupers as transistions so as to couple to my locos.
Looking forward to many pleasurable hours on the RR during the summer. :)
Alan
Member OVGRS

Learn from the mistakes of others. You can’t live long enough to make them all yourself.
Eleanor Roosevelt

Ed Headington
Associate Member

Post by Ed Headington » Wed May 04, 2016 2:53 pm

Great to hear from you, Alan. Glad your railroad was in pretty good shape after the winter. The K&E keeps chugging along. I understand your issue with Aristo couplers. I was fortunate in that a year or so ago I was able to purchase 30 couplers at a reasonable price on EBAY. I also have stockpiled my favorite engine motorblocks, the FA1, RS3, U25B etc. blocks, so if any of my operating ones fail, I can keep on "rolling".

Hope your weather continues to be good, and that you get lots of "railroading" in.

Ed

Alan Lott
Associate Member

Post by Alan Lott » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:09 pm

I did mention that I would not get any more stock, however, I saw, at a UK dealers web site a new 2bay covered hopper at a very advantageous price. I could not resist purchasing it. :D
It is the L&N version with legend The Dixie Line on the sides. I was once informed - light-heartedly I admit on this Forum - that Dixie is not pc. Well I like the name and pc or not it is running here. ;)
Alan
Member OVGRS

Eleanor Roosevelt

Ed Headington
Associate Member

Post by Ed Headington » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:32 pm

Sounds good, Alan. That should make a nice addition to your railroad.

Ed

R.J DeBerg
Associate Member

Post by R.J DeBerg » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:42 am

glade to hear your both still running trains. You can never have to many hoppers. :D Later RJD
President and Chief Engr Dakota and Southern

Ed Headington
Associate Member

Post by Ed Headington » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:26 pm

You got that right, RJ

Ed

Alan Lott
Associate Member

Post by Alan Lott » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:17 pm

The we are now past mid-summer but the weather here is pretty pleasant, not too hot but the occasional humid spells for an hour or so in the late afternoon. Being very close to the sea helps it to stay moderate and often breezy.
Last year my wife tore a cartilage and life has been hard and painful for her, but there is now signs of improvement. A month ago she became ill with an infection and after a few days she was taken to hospital with septicaemia. Thankfully antibiotics eventually helped her get a little better - without them them I would have lost her for sure. She is now on the way to better health but it can be imagined that I have had to do shopping, cleaning, learn how the washing machine works and do many other honey-do's. ;) This has meant trains taking a back seat.
I have started running again - although the Tour de France cycle race, on tv, takes up some of the afternoon.
I have been meaning to sell two or three of my 2-bay coal hoppers. I did mention it to a club, reasonably locally, but never got a reply. Their value would not be great so I considered converting them into another type of car.
I trawled the web looking for suitable cars and ideas, but really did not see anything that I could model - I did not want to destroy the car completely. :eek:
So I thought what about a ballast car!
Running a short line - they were usually quite adaptable in their rolling stock, especially in the 1950-70 era - and I guessed they would probably have converted (or simply used) a small coal hopper.
I have a couple of Bachmann coal loads (those that fit their 3-bay hoppers) and had loose fitted them into Aristo gondolas, they fit just right and I had painted them to resemble ballast.
I removed one of these repainted loads from one of the gondolas and noticed that it fitted width-wise mighty fine; but it needed shortening in length to fit into the hopper. I removed a small section from the length to ensure a good fit.
As ballast is quite a heavy commodity ballast hoppers, it seems, are rarely loaded to the top of the car. This meant I had to remove a small section from the side strengthening web of the car so the load would sit a little way below the top. The sloping ends of the car adequately support the ballast load.
The car can easily become a coal hopper again simply by replacing the original coal load.
If it looks right and I am satisfied with my handiwork I will, most likely, convert a second 2-bay coal hopper. Incidentally the car involved (and the subsequent one (if done) are G&MO cars - the Aristo 2008 club cars - which I believe, together with the Interstate ones, were the first of Aristo's very successful 2-bay coal hoppers.
Alan
Member OVGRS

Eleanor Roosevelt

Ed Headington
Associate Member

Post by Ed Headington » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:24 pm

Are you going to show us a picture of your handiwork, Alan??

Ed