New 2.4 REVO User Question

DAOlsen
Associate Member

New 2.4 REVO User Question

Post by DAOlsen » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:16 pm

Hello all,

I just received my new 2.4 REVO system and so far I am well pleased. I have successfully hooked up and linked a base station rx. Now I am looking ahead to some possible onboard rx installations. I have been reading the REVO manuals and I have a basic question. I understand the "plug-and-play" installation on a loco equipped with a REVO 12 pin socket, and I understand the "custom onboard" installations as presented in the manual (basically starting from scratch, gutting and rewiring the entire loco). So my question; is there any middle ground? If a loco has been built "DCC Ready" either with a NMRA socket or terminal points for hooking up to track power input, motor input, front/rear headlights, can a REVO rx be connected in as one would have connected a DCC decoder? The DCC decoder and REVO rx connections seem to be the same. Any info or suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Dennis

Ed Headington
Associate Member

Re: New 2.4 REVO User Question

Post by Ed Headington » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:26 pm

Welcome to the Forum, Dennis. Hopefully someone more familiar with DCC will jump in here, but it is my understanding that the connector is pretty much universal and will work for either the Revolution or DCC.

What I do when I have an engine that does not have any connector, I just insert, electrically, the Revolution Receiver, into the leads coming from the track pickups. This basically makes the engine think the Revolution signals are coming from the track. In my case, being battery powered, I go one step further, and lift the track pickup leads and connect them to the battery. In my case the battery is mounted in a trailing car, so I just bring the track pickup leads in the engine to the rear of the engine and a connector.

Ed

DAOlsen
Associate Member

Post by DAOlsen » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:10 pm

Ed,

Thanks for the reply and the installation tips.
I did an experiment on a "DCC Ready" railtruck making the required terminal block disconnections for track power input and motor output from the original PC board (leaving the remainder of the PC board including the lighting untouched). Other than the headlights, these are the changes that would have been required for a DCC decoder installation. I found out that this did not completely isolate the motor and I had to snip the two motor wires from the PC board. I guess that there is more happening on that PC board than I thought. This will be a learning process for me, but I'll get there.

Thanks again,

Dennis

Ed Headington
Associate Member

Post by Ed Headington » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:33 pm

Good luck on your "learning experience", Dennis.I believe you are being a little more sophisticated than I've been. As I mentioned in my previous post, when I wire directly, the engine acts exactly like it is on track power. That is, when the engine comes to a stop, the headlight goes out. But it works okay for me.

Ed