why REVO 2.4 system over DCC

domer94
Associate Member

why REVO 2.4 system over DCC

Post by domer94 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:58 am

i have embarked on a rather large basement indoor g scale layout. im at the point of starting rough out track and get the plan working. in the meantime ,, I have been picking up an eclectic array of locomotives by various manufacturers which I find to be fascinating and cant wait to run. anyhow , I have an NCE powercab and 10 amp power system, but have come across this new crest revolution system which looks to be attractive in many ways. I would like to run maybe 3 trains simultaneously though not all the time, and would like the capability to have multiple operators with each their own remote. I know there are probably more than a few DCC vs REVO threads, but im looking for the quick and dirty. I would like to use track power as well. I guess im looking to see if it is generally simpler and more reliable to use this crest r/c system. most of my aristo loco purchases are probably older models. a few fa-1 / fb-1 , a pacific, u-25b , and a couple of rs-3. if this system works well and is simple to install in aristo locos as designed, I would also consider running REVO for the aristos and DCC for the usa / bachman / LGB that I own as well. am I on the right path here? also quick question about running the FA / FB units together... can I use one receiver? and how difficult is this to install.
thanks

Doug Cannon
Associate Member

Re: why REVO 2.4 system over DCC

Post by Doug Cannon » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:37 pm

Paul Norton of the OttawaValleGRS has written numerous (fantastic) articles regards installs Aristo'Revo; http://ovgrs.org/the-trains/ >Locomotive Projects
Primarily battery-powered installs, but initial portions of articles will give ya idea of what is involved starting to work under-the-hood for various locomotives/manufacturers.

One of close to a doz. David B. Revo-flavoured articles;
http://www.trainelectronics.com/ART5700 ... /index.htm

good luck

doug c

p.s. into newer Aristo's using Paul's how-to articles you should find pretty easy installs.
" G-gauge may not RULE, But it GROWS on Ya !! " djc'99

Ed Headington
Associate Member

Post by Ed Headington » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:31 pm

First of all, welcome to the Aristo forum. My experience is a little difference than yours will be in that I am 100% battery powered. I have found that the Aristo Revolution system is somewhat simpler than DCC. This is good and bad. I truly believe it is much easier to get up and running with the Revolution system than DCC, but you have infinitely more variables that you can control and set with the DCC. I seem to have heard that the Revolution may work better with battery than track power, but I hope others will share their experiences with track powered Revolutions. Some time ago I purchased an Airwire system that operates wirelessly but is compatible with DCC. I found that I prefer the Revolution, however.

Personally I have been thrilled with the Revolution system. It controls more than enough variables for me, had fantastic range (my railroad is over 50' long and as near as I can tell my range is in excess of 200'.). I at times have more than one train running with more than one operator, each with a their own transmitter, and it works fine in that scenario.

As I said at the beginning of this post, my experience is somewhat different than yours, but I hope it may help you a little.

Ed

Stan Cedarleaf
Associate Member

Post by Stan Cedarleaf » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:46 pm

Domer94... I will echo Ed's post. Even though my outdoor layout has been dismantled and sold, I still use the REVOLUTION when running "display" and "Show" trains AND I've installed it in a number of inexpensive, non TMCC and DCS "O" gauge locomoitves running both battery and track power.

I like the system very much...

AND... I REPEAT, AND I taught Ed everything he knows about the REVOLUTION. :D :D :D :D :D :p :p :p :p
Last edited by Stan Cedarleaf on Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stix Cook
Associate Member

Post by Stix Cook » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:17 am

Oh my goodness!!! I can see, you two are going to be going at it again!!
Thanx, Stix

Stan Cedarleaf
Associate Member

Post by Stan Cedarleaf » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:05 am

You's right, Stix...

However, I must treat Ed with the utmost of respect. He is the elder of the two us..... Don'tcha know :p :p :p

John Galt
Associate Member

Post by John Galt » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:57 am

This is NOT a forum where you can ask Revo over DCC and get a full answer.

This forum does not allow discussions of competitors products, never has.

JG

Ed Headington
Associate Member

Post by Ed Headington » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:01 pm

Well, I don't want to derail this post for sure, but we all know even though Stan is a little on the young side, he knows more about Aristo products than most of us!!! I might have known a LITTLE about the Revolution without Stan, but he has helped me more times than I can count when I've had questions.

I have to confess though, that for ME, and again I emphasize the ME, the Revolution is a great combination. It provides me with more than enough flexibility without being overly complicated. I was really impressed when I bought my first Revolution, which was in fact one of the Beta models, the directions were so well written that I had no trouble getting my first engine up and running with it, and considering it was a beta model, I had no problems with its operation. And if I can get it up and running without needing help from Stan, it MUST be good!

Ed

T L Hutchins
Associate Member

Re: why REVO 2.4 system over DCC (re-railing)

Post by T L Hutchins » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:09 pm

The Revolution works perfectly for me. I have an indoor layout that I use Revolution for both track power (Base Station Revolution) and individual engines. If all my engines were Revolution I wouldn't need the base station, but there are several non-Aristo units and brass Aristo units that would be improbably tough to convert to Revolution or DCC.

To run the Revolution equipped engines I simply turn the base unit (in linear mode) up to 100% speed, then run the engines from the transmitter as one normally would. No wire to change or switches to set, almost too easy.
---Hutch