REVO USB with new sound fles

Doug Cannon
Associate Member

Re: REVO USB with new sound files

Post by Doug Cannon » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:34 pm

Was the USB / sound update initiative sidetracked ?

Don't see any mention of any (accessible) sound files other than this para' on their 'About' pg.;
"...we now have a download USB style cord that will upgrade the transmitter programming and sounds directly from any PC computer and the Internet. The download is sent directly to the transmitter or receiver by the USB card and updates the program or sounds as chosen..."

The CRE57092 USB PLUG is still available on their online store;
http://shop.crest-electronics.net/CRE57 ... E57092.htm

Alas it seems this project may have got derailed !?

Maybe someone is aware of, and can share the missing link (of info) ;)

doug c
" G-gauge may not RULE, But it GROWS on Ya !! " djc'99

Glenn Habrial
Associate Member

Re: REVO USB with new sound fles

Post by Glenn Habrial » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:13 pm

thank goodness I didn't hold my breath for it.

MParsons
Associate Member

Post by MParsons » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:55 am

You can always turn the sound off and wire in a 3rd party sound only card, which will work just fine use the fn keys.

John Galt
Associate Member

Post by John Galt » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:39 am

Kind of defeats the idea of a low cost system if you have to add another sound unit.

R.J DeBerg
Associate Member

Post by R.J DeBerg » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:32 pm

I'd have to say you may see a price increase for using the sounds. What is the price of the USB interface? Are the current sound boards capable of having the new sounds loaded into them? Later RJD
President and Chief Engr Dakota and Southern

MParsons
Associate Member

Post by MParsons » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:06 am

While the "list Price" at Crest Electronics is $50, it is pointless to speculate on actual sales price. For a while various vendors advertised the plug in Garden Railways Magazine at a slight discount. From the initial advertising it seems that the receivers (base station and on-board) and likely also the transmitters can have their software modified from the USB. If it ever hits the market. The old hoopla said that you could download and add your own train sounds (haven't heard about that in a while) which meant they intended to publish the sound spec. When I asked about that some time ago on the forum (and to Scott) I got silence in return. At the time I mentioned that I am an electrical engineer and computer scientist and offered to do the software for the USB if they gave me the specs - silence.

I have a feeling that the posture regarding the USB is not about feasibility -- everything that the Polks designed was / is solid - but about a financial decision. I think we are out of luck.

John Galt
Associate Member

Post by John Galt » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:36 pm

Scott has nothing to do with Crest Electronics, so it's not at all surprising no response.

The only thing to do is keep bugging Navin, or maybe private communications with Lewis, as we presume he still owns Crest.

JG