Non-Aristo-Craft Revo Installations

Jerry McColgan
Associate Member

Post by Jerry McColgan » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:56 am

I want to back up to my previous comment where I mentioned the CRE57078 non P&P board not removing PWM.

Please check Dave Bodnar's comments elsewhere on this forum at:

http://www.aristocraft.com/vbulletinfor ... ution+dave

and at:

http://www.trainelectronics.com/ART5700 ... nother.htm

I am not qualified to discuss Dave's comments but I will mention the CRE57079 BRIDGE RECTIFIER BOARD. I cannot say if this meets Dave's criteria. I will leave that to Dave and to others.

Jerry

Jerry McColgan wrote:Hi Bruce,

The CRE57078 non P&P board has nothing to do with removing PWM from the circuit.

Jerry

Joe Wilson
Associate Member

Post by Joe Wilson » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:37 am

Installing the Revolution. Any ideas why I keep receiving an "Overload message on the transmitter ? Have everthing disconnected but the motors, they work fine off a transformer. When I go to connecting the battery for power, it goes to overload ?

Cal Best
Associate Member

Post by Cal Best » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:30 am

I had a similar problem and traced it to backfeed from the engine to the track. It was an engine that had no battery/track switch and I had to disconnect the feeds from the wheels.

Ed Headington
Associate Member

Post by Ed Headington » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:56 pm

Yup, me too, Cal. My backfeed to the track was on a Mikado, but it really let me know there was a problem!!

Ed

Jim Miller
Associate Member

Revo install in Bach K-27

Post by Jim Miller » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:20 pm

Has anyone just plugged in Revo into the the Plug n Play board of a Bachmann K-27? Any problems or comments? My guess is it should work.....................Jim

Daveh
Associate Member

Revo Rx & Pheonix PB8 into 'Lil Critter' CAN DO?

Post by Daveh » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:49 pm

Iv'e seen two comments on this forum in the past, that state a) you can not fit a Revo Rx PB8 (or PB9) into a Lil Critter (not enough room), and b) YES, you can.

I have a Lil Critter that does not have the normal 10/12 pin PCB in it, (I assume that this meams it's an early model, or maybe the Lil Critter was never fitted with the larger 10/12 pin board), but rather just three wires to a much smaller PCB.

Am I correct in thinking that I could use the CRE 57078 Non Plug-N-Play board to wire into the loco's current wiring, and if so - which colour wires on the non P-N-P board, connect to the loco wiring?

Do I need any other parts to complete this modification?

Whilst I'm not an expert in such modifications, I have previously fitted a Revo Rx & Pheonix PB9 into my Aristo "Mallet" and C-16.

I use Track Power.

I'm in the UK where there are currently NO supplies of the CRE 57078, so has anybody got any info on a possible supplier in the U.S. (apart from Aristo themselves) - it's getting even harder to source items with the recent demise of St.Aubin etc.

Any assistance would be gratefully appreciated.

Stan Cedarleaf
Associate Member

Post by Stan Cedarleaf » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:18 pm

Jim Miller wrote:Has anyone just plugged in Revo into the the Plug n Play board of a Bachmann K-27? Any problems or comments? My guess is it should work.....................Jim
Jim..... I know this is way late, but yes, Take the dummy plug out, then replace the REVOLUTION receiver which plugs right in and works fine... :) :) :)

Just did one....
In May 2015, the PCSRR became a Fallen Flag Railroad
http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/stance ... len_x.html

Stan Cedarleaf
Associate Member

Post by Stan Cedarleaf » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:31 pm

Daveh wrote:Iv'e seen two comments on this forum in the past, that state a) you can not fit a Revo Rx PB8 (or PB9) into a Lil Critter (not enough room), and b) YES, you can.

I have a Lil Critter that does not have the normal 10/12 pin PCB in it, (I assume that this meams it's an early model, or maybe the Lil Critter was never fitted with the larger 10/12 pin board), but rather just three wires to a much smaller PCB.

Am I correct in thinking that I could use the CRE 57078 Non Plug-N-Play board to wire into the loco's current wiring, and if so - which colour wires on the non P-N-P board, connect to the loco wiring?

Do I need any other parts to complete this modification?

Whilst I'm not an expert in such modifications, I have previously fitted a Revo Rx & Pheonix PB9 into my Aristo "Mallet" and C-16.

I use Track Power.

I'm in the UK where there are currently NO supplies of the CRE 57078, so has anybody got any info on a possible supplier in the U.S. (apart from Aristo themselves) - it's getting even harder to source items with the recent demise of St.Aubin etc.

Any assistance would be gratefully appreciated.
Dave.... If I were to do this install, I would isolate the track pickups to the input side of a 3-5 amp bridge rectifier (should be readily available at an electronics outlet locally) The (+) and (-) output from the bridge rectifier would the connect to the red and black input wires on the recevier adapter that comes with the REVOLUTION. The orange and grey wires would then go to the motor or directly to the board where the track pickups would have been cut....

The bridge rectifier may not be necesssary but as you are using track power, it's just good protection for the receiver just in case track polarity might be changes while running.

The install should be quite simple.
In May 2015, the PCSRR became a Fallen Flag Railroad
http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/stance ... len_x.html

MParsons
Associate Member

Love Affair with Lil Critter?

Post by MParsons » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:02 pm

I have a very new Lil Critter and it --- and the Center Cab on which it's based -- don't have the DCC plug n play board.
You must really love that Lil Critter (I think mine is cute) because you are investing a lot more in that bad boy then it cost.
This is why I've been hollering for the new switcher which we assume will have both the DCC PnP and a factory weather-resistant speaker.

IF you can't resist going all the way you can fit a 1-1/4" d speaker in a (no more than) 3/4" speaker enclosure against the back wall of the motor cavity under the engine. There's room for a DCC controller from Digitrax and a Soundbug which has plenty of speaker power for a little speaker.

Another alternative is to put a wireless receiver in the cab and the DCC controller under the hood. Given all that function control capability you just have to add Mars lights or something. But now you've spent the same as to do all the good stuff on a big engine.

I've recently hauled a long string of cars around my track behind a Lil Critter and it just keeps on pulling.

Here's a thought -- the Lil Critter has most of what you need to build a logging engine the sort used on the temporary lines. You see a lot of these in ON30 as adoptions of HO diesel engines from Althearn.

Good Luck and let's see some pictures of what you come up with.

Jerry McColgan
Associate Member

Revolutions into PA/PB-1's (and maybe F-3's)

Post by Jerry McColgan » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:22 pm

Sometimes in the process of helping others we end up helping ourselves.

I had posted this some time ago but then I decided to run the PA/PB-1's on track power without Revolutions. Now I find myself rethinking this but I had forgotten how I had done it and I could not find my records (old age = terrible memory). It is not complicated but having found and printed this I no longer have to think about it - just follow my own advice.

Thanks Lewis and Scott for keeping the old Forum posts in with the new Forum.

Jerry

Jerry McColgan wrote:Aristo cannot make everything and one thing they do not make is a MoPac locomotive such as the PA-1.

Here are a couple of wiring diagrams for installing a Revolution into a PA-1. The first is a simple installation for track power and does not include a sound system or MUing a PA-1 with a PB-1.

Note 1: the leads from the track pickups (same ones that I would expect would be used to get power from a battery) usually have four wires going into the connector and are as illustrated above. I hesitate to refer to them as male and female because to me they could be interpreted either way (the exposed pins = male or the entire jack = male?).

Note 2: The color polarity reverses from the front leads to the back leads - both from the motor and from the track - (because the truck in the rear is physically reversed from the truck in the front).

This next one includes a Dallee Sound System and wiring to MU a PA-1 to a PB-1:

One source for the connectors used is http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-st ... S/-/1.html The black and red wires may or may not have the correct polarity. I have some from various sources and they seem to change from one lot to another.

I have not yet wired either of these (I plan to do so tomorrow). If anyone notices any errors please let me know.

Several USAT locos use the same connectors and the above should work with them as well. As always, check and verify all wiring codes and do not assume that one batch of connectors will be wired the same as the last batch of connectors or that the track and motor color codes will always be the same from loco to loco.

These are simplified installations and NO ATTEMPT HAS BEEN MADE to duplicate the wiring of the Aristo Plug and Play interface. All I am doing with the above is to control the locomotive the same way that it was controlled under track power so the motors, smoke units, lights etc. will only get power as the Revolution increases power to the motors.

More detailed installations are possible for those who wish to put the extra effort into it but I have not done it and I have no plans to do so.

Jerry