Non-Aristo-Craft Revo Installations

LewisPolk

Non-Aristo-Craft Revo Installations

Post by LewisPolk » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:26 pm

Dear All,

I'm going to make this a sticky too as a place where you can show installations you have done on other maker's locos or in trailing cars of any type. I think this will benefit all as a resource for the best way to do customized installs in a variety of locos.

All the best,
Lewis Polk

Stan Cedarleaf
Associate Member

Post by Stan Cedarleaf » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:27 pm

That's wonderful, Lewis. The REVOLUTION will fit in sooooo many applications.

The more information available for other installations will certainly benefit all of us.

I should have takem more images of some of the locomotives I've added the REVOLUTION to. :) :) :D
In May 2015, the PCSRR became a Fallen Flag Railroad
http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/stance ... len_x.html

Paul Norton
Associate Member

Revolutionizing a USA Trains S-4 Switcher

Post by Paul Norton » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:58 am

The easiest non-Plug and Play installation of a Revolution receiver I have done so far is in a USA Trains S-4 switcher. Although it has no fuel tank under the frame, limited space under the hood, and no Plug and Play features, it turned out extremely well.

The front weight was removed, and a lithium-ion battery pack mounted to a styrene platform.

The smoke unit was removed from the hood and replaced with a styrene platform to mount the Plug and Play board and Revolution receiver.

A 2-pin plug to connect the lithium-ion battery pack is soldered to the center terminals of a DPDT switch next receiver. The switch is used to toggle the battery pack between its charging plug and the receiver.

The charging plug is connected to one end of the switch, and the power terminals on the Plug and Play board to the other end.

A second 2-pin plug in the motor terminals of the Plug and Play board connects to the main circuit board of the switcher in place of one of the track power pick-up plugs. The track power plugs have been disconnected to isolate the switchers electronics from the tracks.

The battery switch is hidden under the removable exhaust stack.

The 2-pin, battery charging plug is mounted on the rear pilot. The wings have be removed to make it less obvious.

The linking switch was replaced with a small reed switch fastened with hot glue to the hood. A dollar store telescoping magnet will activate it.

This switcher has factory installed LED headlights that come on fully bright with the first push (1%) of the throttle. The lithium-ion battery pack allows long run times, and the Revolution receiver allows the running characteristics of this locomotive to be fine tuned to any engineer’s preferences.

If you want more information, there is a step-by-step article on our club web site on how to RE-POWER an S-4 with an Aristo-Craft: lithium-ion battery pack, Plug and Play board, and Revolution receiver.
Paul Norton
Ottawa Valley GRS

Jerry McColgan
Associate Member

Installing Revolutions into USAT PA-1's

Post by Jerry McColgan » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:42 am

Aristo cannot make everything and one thing they do not make is a MoPac locomotive such as the PA-1.

Here are a couple of wiring diagrams for installing a Revolution into a PA-1. The first is a simple installation for track power and does not include a sound system or MUing a PA-1 with a PB-1.

Note 1: the leads from the track pickups (same ones that I would expect would be used to get power from a battery) usually have four wires going into the connector and are as illustrated above. I hesitate to refer to them as male and female because to me they could be interpreted either way (the exposed pins = male or the entire jack = male?).

Note 2: The color polarity reverses from the front leads to the back leads - both from the motor and from the track - (because the truck in the rear is physically reversed from the truck in the front).

This next one includes a Dallee Sound System and wiring to MU a PA-1 to a PB-1:

One source for the connectors used is http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-st ... S/-/1.html The black and red wires may or may not have the correct polarity. I have some from various sources and they seem to change from one lot to another.

I have not yet wired either of these (I plan to do so tomorrow). If anyone notices any errors please let me know.

Several USAT locos use the same connectors and the above should work with them as well. As always, check and verify all wiring codes and do not assume that one batch of connectors will be wired the same as the last batch of connectors or that the track and motor color codes will always be the same from loco to loco.

These are simplified installations and NO ATTEMPT HAS BEEN MADE to duplicate the wiring of the Aristo Plug and Play interface. All I am doing with the above is to control the locomotive the same way that it was controlled under track power so the motors, smoke units, lights etc. will only get power as the Revolution increases power to the motors.

More detailed installations are possible for those who wish to put the extra effort into it but I have not done it and I have no plans to do so.

Jerry

Stan Cedarleaf
Associate Member

Post by Stan Cedarleaf » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:50 am

Jerry, your motor hookups seem to be OK. I've completely gutted all my USA installations for battery power. Have not done any for track power.

The only issue I've come up with is that the USA main boards don't like PWC and your lights may not work. Or will work for a time and then quit.
In May 2015, the PCSRR became a Fallen Flag Railroad
http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/stance ... len_x.html

Ed Headington
Associate Member

Post by Ed Headington » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:12 am

Thanks Lewis for this thread. I am finding it very interesting and educational. I only have one engine that isn't an Aristo, and that's an LGB Mogul. When I converted this loco to battery and Revolution, I placed the batteries, the receiver, and the Phoenix sound in a following car, just like I've done with my non PNP Aristo locomotives, of which I have several. As a result I haven't really had much experience with putting the receiver inside these other engines. For this reason I'm finding this thread very educational and helpful.

Ed

Peter Eaton
Associate Member

S-4 Revo/RX installation

Post by Peter Eaton » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:38 am

I am following Paul's conversion of a S-4 to Revo/RX but putting the battery in a following car. My problem is with the unit that holds the Revo/RX, it shows the black wire for power input as positive and the red wire as negative. Should I be hooking the battery red wire to the black wire and the battery black wire to the red wire?? Thanks, Pete
Pete

Jerry McColgan
Associate Member

Post by Jerry McColgan » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:05 pm

Stan Cedarleaf wrote:Jerry, your motor hookups seem to be OK. I've completely gutted all my USA installations for battery power. Have not done any for track power.

The only issue I've come up with is that the USA main boards don't like PWC and your lights may not work. Or will work for a time and then quit.

Hi Stan,

You may well be correct.

I did put a Revolution into a NW-2 with a Sierra sound system and never did get the lights to work even after I created a new circuit board. On the NW-2 I tried to wire the lights to the White, Blue and Yellow leads with no success.

When that did not work my next non-Aristo install was with a Dallee sound system into a USA GP-38 in MoPac (no comparable loco available from Aristo). This time I wired it as per my drawing for the PA-1 and so far the lights have worked but I have not used it much so I don't know if the lights will or will not continue to work.

Anyone contemplating installing a Revolution into a USAT loco should be aware the USA main boards may not like PWC and the lights may not work.

Individually my locos don't get a lot of run time so it may be a long time before I have a valid answer regarding how the lights hold up on the GP-38 and PA-1.

I have to admit that I am somewhat puzzled by this situation because all the Train Engineers have had a PWC option and if there had been a significant problem with PWC causing lights to fail I would have expected to have heard of it a long time ago. I cannot go by my own experience because I have usually left my TE's in linear mode.

I have another NW-2 that does not have a Revolution in it and I may try running it with a TE in PWC mode just to see what happens.

Jerry

Jerry McColgan
Associate Member

Post by Jerry McColgan » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:12 pm

Peter Eaton wrote:I am following Paul's conversion of a S-4 to Revo/RX but putting the battery in a following car. My problem is with the unit that holds the Revo/RX, it shows the black wire for power input as positive and the red wire as negative. Should I be hooking the battery red wire to the black wire and the battery black wire to the red wire?? Thanks, Pete

Hi Pete,

I cannot answer your question but I would suggest that personally I would never trust the polarity of a wire based on its color. I have run across too many variables in the past.

Even now when I buy 2 and 4 wire connector sets it is not uncommon for the wire colors of one set to be totally opposite from the wire colors of another set.

I expect someone else will give you a more qualified answer.

Jerry

Peter Eaton
Associate Member

Post by Peter Eaton » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:26 pm

Thanks, Jerry. I just ordered two more Revo/RX's from STA expecting the new screw terminal base, not so, got the old Revo/RX base with the colored wires with black as positive. Sorry to learn that I may not have lights when I get hooked up!!! Pete
Pete