Read this review if your thinking about buying a Revolution

LewisPolk

Read this review if your thinking about buying a Revolution

Post by LewisPolk » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:49 am

Dear All,

John Sipple of Model Railroad News wrote this review on the Revolution this month and they made it the cover story. A great magazine that's getting substancial G Gauge advertising including Aristo-Craft.

http://www.aristocraft.com/articles/MRN ... N_0809.pdf.

It's worth reading by all. We have put the above link on our website under articles.

All the best,
Lewis Polk

Ed Headington
Associate Member

Post by Ed Headington » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:18 am

Another great write-up, Lewis! A well deserved congratulations!! The press certainly seems almost impressed with the Revolution as some of us users!!!

Ed

beweekly
Associate Member

Post by beweekly » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:57 am

Ed Headington wrote:Another great write-up, Lewis! A well deserved congratulations!! The press certainly seems almost impressed with the Revolution as some of us users!!!

Ed

Touche Ed, touche! :)

I agree with you and the excellent John Sipple article on the Revolution.

I noticed he called it a RCC system, which I thought was pretty insightful. I enjoyed the fine praise he gave Mr.Polk's new system,
Garden Railways covered the new Revolution also.

Yes , I just love my trains now, they all have the Revolution system and has not failed to operate in anyway.:)

In fact, I just finished tonight installing a Revolution receiver, Aristo/Dallee soundcard(Railbus) and
two speakers(Tony's Train Exchange:large Oval-TDS) in back of a U.S. Mail Rail Truck and 'it runs like a watch'.

Great system! :p
Bob E. Weekly

Andy Stobie
Associate Member

Post by Andy Stobie » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:59 pm

Bob, I'd love to know if you've ever documented your installation steps with photos. As a newcomer to the Revolution, I see this as a weak spot in having clear and accurate documentation of the receiver installation. I'm trying to install into a U25B, an FA and an RS-3, all non-PNP. Thanks!

Peter Bernstock
Associate Member

U25-B Installation

Post by Peter Bernstock » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:36 pm

I managed an installation in a non PNP U25-B. In the engine I have, following the color coding of the wiring causes trouble. The Black and Red wires from the trucks for power pick up from the rails needed to be reversed one set of trucks, so I have Black connected to Red and Red connected to Black. Same for the motor leads, which were Gray and Blue. Found a spot to attach the adapter board with some double sided tape. Engine responds nicely.

JohnAndruch
Associate Member

Post by JohnAndruch » Sat May 12, 2012 4:42 pm

LewisPolk wrote:Dear All,

John Sipple of Model Railroad News wrote this review on the Revolution this month and they made it the cover story. A great magazine that's getting substancial G Gauge advertising including Aristo-Craft.

http://www.aristocraft.com/articles/MRN ... N_0809.pdf.

It's worth reading by all. We have put the above link on our website under articles.

All the best,
Lewis Polk
Mr. Polk,

Hi, this is my first time posting. I have a question about the revolution system. I was wondering if there was a push to be able to tie the revolution controller to a computer and allow a program like JMRI send and receive commands through the controller? The reason I'm asking is because I'm fairly young and my goal has always been to have computer control, dispatching and an automated layout, even if it was in the back yard. I like the advantages of the Revolution of being either battery or track powered for G scale and being outside. The problem is that the revolution system doesn't make the leap required for automation, that is the block detection systems. Also conventional blocking systems require a huge amount of cable "under the bench" so I have been looking into how to couple the Revoltion to the JMRI computer program along with Railroad Positioning System (RPS) such as:
http://www.proto87.com/RPS-MR-position- ... ystem.html or http://www.gamesontrack.co.uk/pages/web ... Guid=64556.

For the time being this is my vision for the garden railroad that I have yet to build.

Thank You

John Andruch

MParsons
Associate Member

Computer Control of Revolution equiped trains etc

Post by MParsons » Sun May 13, 2012 1:43 am

1. Is the Revolution system one where the packet codes and unit to unit dialog is proprietary? The solution lies in emulating the signals coming from the throttle to the engine and, if any, the feedback messages.

I would imagine that it wouldn't be too difficult for Polk / Aristo to rob their throttles to separate out the transmitter/receiver part from the control circuitry. The wireless section clearly has a built in radio section which knows how to exchange message packets.

If Aristo would put out a transmitter / receiver section and publish the codes that have to be sent to the transmitter (which are now generated when you push buttons or move cams and push buttons) and the return codes, it wouldn't be hard to program either a USB or RS-232 (serial) interface for the computer and a program which would go behind a windows dialog.

You seem to want train position indication. Given that the trains may be battery controlled it would seem to me, to get there, Aristo would have to build optical sensors with interfaces to their fixed device controller -- these would behave much the same as switch machine positiion feedback. Train goes through optical sensor, train occupancy signal goes to stationary decoder, and then to computer to light just as you would light a switch position lamp. After that your imagination only limits how you could program. In theory, you could halt trains when they are in a block behind an occupied block.

Aristo would have to decide to they want to license their solution or keep it trade secret. I tend to think the later would be their answer. But let's hear from the automation guru's at Aristo on this?

jeffreyvaillant69
Associate Member

URL Not Working

Post by jeffreyvaillant69 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:11 am

Can a new URL be provided? Thank you

Doug Cannon
Associate Member

Post by Doug Cannon » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:24 am

Link/url still not working properly !

Did Mr. Sipple retract his preliminary thoughts about the REVO' system :)

Cal Best
Associate Member

Post by Cal Best » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:37 am