Track Power and Pure D.C.

LewisPolk

Track Power and Pure D.C.

Post by LewisPolk » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:04 pm

Dear All,

We've noticed that we're getting calls from people using power supplies with controllers that are not pure D.C. and have half wave pulses. The Revolution works best on track power with our own Crest power supplies and they can be attached directly to the track without an intervening controller. Track power is difficult enough with connectivity and track cleanliness issues, but a pure D.C. output is helpful.

We will in the future put a single cap add on to our Revolution boards to help somewhat, but the 6 cap board does help the most; especially out of doors. The single cap will help in most cases, but be prepared to use the 6 cap board.

We make power supplies from 5 Amp up to 15 Amp and they all work well with the Revolution. Battery power is an even better choice as the power goes directly to the motor, but the adding of the capacitors solves most track power issues.

The caps are not needed for battery power setups, but will still be included in the next run. Also, please note that D.C.C. on the tracks is not compatible with the Revolution, though we will make a rectifier board to allow them to work simultaneously on the same track. In effect D.C.C. is an A.C. "type" of signal, so it needs to be rectified when using it with the Revolution as the controller.

All the best,
Lewis Polk

beweekly
Associate Member

Post by beweekly » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:31 pm

LewisPolk wrote:Dear All,

The caps are not needed for battery power setups, but will still be included in the next run. Also, please note that D.C.C. on the tracks is not compatible with the Revolution, though we will make a rectifier board to allow them to work simultaneously on the same track. In effect D.C.C. is an A.C. type of signal, so it needs to be rectified with the Revolution as the controller.

All the best,
Lewis Polk
Thanks Lewis, glad I continue to scan these threads. :D

After reading many of the issues some are threading about DCC track power and Revo-Linking,

YOU answered(for me) the questions I had about the Cap boards and battery power
and about DCC and the Revolution.

Thanks for that DCC "Revelation" about the "Revolution!" :D
Bob E. Weekly

Ian Galbraith
Associate Member

Post by Ian Galbraith » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:42 pm

Tnank you Lewis, for your update.

My first few days with the Revolution have met my expectations. I have some questions, which I will discuss at the Convention in Denver next month.

Cheers
Ian

Doug Cannon
Associate Member

Post by Doug Cannon » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:00 pm

"....using power supplies with controllers that are not pure D.C. and have half wave pulses.."

And who knows what either the PHHobbies or MRC G units supply !?

Or were they posted somewheres in the past yr. by Ron P. ?

I think it would be best if I budget for 6cap board for every loco, planned to be Revo' controlled. As long as the alleged bad cap' boards have been returned to the manufacturer .

Thanks,
doug c

Ward Hutton
Associate Member

Post by Ward Hutton » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:14 pm

Doug,
I run brass track and don't do much cleaning of it. I started out with 6 cap boards but have been switching to single caps with no visable difference in running. I have done this on a RDC, RS3 and similar locos as well as smaller USAT locos. Wouldn't try it on a GP40 or GP7 though.
Something you might consider is to buy at least one 6 cap board as a spare. Try the single cap, if you get poor performance, then switch to the 6 cap board.
Regards,
Ward
www.golddawg.com "The Last Thing I Need Is More Trains. On The Other Hand, I Want More Trains!"

Doug Cannon
Associate Member

Post by Doug Cannon » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:50 am

Thanks Ward for the feedback !!

I'm presently 100% trackppowered with the PHobbie G transformer thru brass !

I think it was RonP (?) who mentioned problems with a similiar transformer or the other till he upgraded to AC power supply May have bkmarked the thread somewheres for further analysis when funding more imminent (sp?)

nite,
doug c

Doug Cannon
Associate Member

Post by Doug Cannon » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:29 pm

Yepper . . . . it was awaaaay back in Sept'09 (bkmarked) where I seemed to have 'killed' the thread with (my) last post !
http://www.aristocraft.com/vbulletinfor ... 27&page=12

doug c

DIAbrams
Associate Member

Lithium Ion Batteries

Post by DIAbrams » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:29 am

I have 2 Li Ion Aristo batteries that don't charge past about 15-16 volts. They are fairly new. The charger indicates they're fully charged which , of course, is not accurate. Anybody having similar problems. Is there a work around to get the batteries fully charged?
PLus Aristo is out of stock so I can't replace them.

Thanks for any help.

Ed Headington
Associate Member

Post by Ed Headington » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:10 pm

First of all, welcome to the Forum. Secondly, I sent you an email with some ideas. Hope they help.

Ed

Ron McCormick
Associate Member

Post by Ron McCormick » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:34 am

Well, the replacements are here soon, be sure to ask for them.