LS Mikado Steam Pressure.

Randy Reinsch
Associate Member

LS Mikado Steam Pressure.

Post by Randy Reinsch » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:32 pm

I noticed that on the Boiler Certificate that the Mikado is tested to 120 psi and has an operating pressure of 60 psi, however the safety is set much lower. I've read that some have increased the pressure by adjusting the safety. Just wondering how much it improved performance and any problems with doing that? Seems like it would be a good idea to replce the filler plug with a solid one, or maybe one from Wee Bee, I think he makes a replacement plug with a Goodall fitting for the Mikado. Also wondering if anyone knows why the engines were limited to 40 psi, when 1/2 test pressure seems to be the industry standard, was it for an extra margin of safety or that it would be hard to maintain higher operating pressure with the low butane bath capacity. Right now the engine is running well at 40 psi with isobutane and changing the bath water before running.

R.J DeBerg
Associate Member

Re: LS Mikado Steam Pressure.

Post by R.J DeBerg » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:18 am

Yes most of us have increased the boiler pressure and makes the loco perform so much better. I currently have mine set at 50. Sounds like you have the 2nd gen Mike. The first gen came with a good all valve but they eliminated it on the 2 run. You can get one from wee bee locos and it works fine. With the improvements I made to mine I the loco will pull 28 cars on level track quite an improvement of straight out of the box. Enjoy later RJD
President and Chief Engr Dakota and Southern

Randy Reinsch
Associate Member

Post by Randy Reinsch » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:01 pm

Do you have the most recent contact information for Wee Bee loco parts? I have tried the email address that I found on this site without any luck and was thinking of trying to order from The Train Department, since he handles Wee Bee safties. My Mikado seems to be a mix of the 2 generations since it has the Aristocraft Goodall valve (but didn't come with a water bottle) and a window for the butane on the tender. I'll have to change the pressure gauge and see if it runs at 30 or 40 psi. Anyway, sounds like 50 psi would be a performance improvement and maybe I can get something solid that will fit from the hardware store if I cann't get a Wee Bee fill plug.

Randy

Arlon R. Sibert
Associate Member

Post by Arlon R. Sibert » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:10 pm

That may or may not be a Goodall valve. Ck it out closely it probably has a spring which looks like the Fill valve but it may not depress.

YMMV...

Arlon R. Sibert

R.J DeBerg
Associate Member

Post by R.J DeBerg » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:37 pm

No need to change pressure gauge. It should read at least 60. You do not have a goodall valve as mentioned may look like one but is not. Later RJD
President and Chief Engr Dakota and Southern