LS 0-4-0 Lost Screw

DAOlsen
Associate Member

LS 0-4-0 Lost Screw

Post by DAOlsen » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:58 am

I was running my 0-4-0 today and noticed that one of the four small hex head screws on one of the crossheads was missing. Does anyone happen to know the thread size of this screw? I need to track down a replacement.

Thanks,
Dennis

TomStephens
Associate Member

Re: LS 0-4-0 Lost Screw

Post by TomStephens » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:33 am

Dennis
Can't you remove one of the other 3 and check the size?
I don't have any idea the size, but a well equipped hardware
store might be able to help identify the size.
Tom

DAOlsen
Associate Member

Post by DAOlsen » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:21 am

Hi Tom,

That's "Plan B". The problem is finding a well equipped hardware store in a Home Depot world. I know mine wouldn't carry anything near that small. I assume its metric which doesn't help either.

Dennis

Arlon R. Sibert
Associate Member

Post by Arlon R. Sibert » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:03 pm

Hello Dennis, I was in need of a # 3 Metric screw and I went to ace Hardware and they had the screw. I would think what you might need would be a # 2 or 1 Metric. they may have it. If no Ace in your area there is a Hardware you can go to online I think it is Mc Master (sp) They have a good Selection. Also a local hobby store that would deal in RC airplanes or Cars may be a help or at least point you in the right direction.

Arlon R. Sibert

DAOlsen
Associate Member

Post by DAOlsen » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:11 pm

Thought I would follow up on this post for the record.

I was able to identify the missing screw as an M2 about 5mm long. I was able to find an M2, 6mm with a slotted cheese head. I shortened it a little bit and installed it. I have not been able to locate a direct replacement M2 screw with a hex head as of yet. So for now I have added a small straight blade screwdriver to the tool tray in my steam-up box.

The 0-4-0 is back in service and I have learned a lesson (hopefully) to check the tightness of all the bolts at the start and finish of every steam-up.

Dennis

smcgill
Associate Member

Post by smcgill » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:35 am

Lesson learned ! :D

DAOlsen
Associate Member

Post by DAOlsen » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:01 pm

Lesson learned? ... Well not quite I guess!

I was running my repaired 0-4-0, happier than a clam. I had checked the tightness of the running gear on both sides of the loco. All was well until I could no longer move the throttle with either the remote control or the buttons on the tender. Everything else worked, (light, sounds, ignitor) but not the throttle.

I checked the wiring harness and plug hoping for something simple, but all seemed OK. I reluctantly openned up the bottom of the loco and found that the limit switch rod mechanism was no longer attached to the disk on the throttle valve. So I now have another missing screw, one that I didn't even realize was there. It appears to be even smaller than M2. I hope that a screw is all that is missing but without a parts breakdown drawing for the loco, I just don't know.

So I am out of action once more. This is a tough way to learn maintenance. If someone on the forum is familar with this rod connection point I would appreciate hearing from you.

Dennis

TomStephens
Associate Member

Post by TomStephens » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:45 pm

Dennis
Do you have any pictures of the connection you are talking about?
Tom

DAOlsen
Associate Member

Post by DAOlsen » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:26 pm

Hi Tom,

I don't think that I can add photos directly to the forum so I will try adding a link to a google photos album.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hVbqGLKAC1mt9AMQ2

As it turns out the missing screw appears to be the same thread size as the screws that hold the plastic track ties to Code 332 brass rail. I am concerned that there may be a spacer missing as well since the rod assembly passes over the stop block on the brass throttle disk.

Once again, there may be more to it. I don't really know the proper screw type, length, etc.

Dennis

DAOlsen
Associate Member

Post by DAOlsen » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:06 pm

Another follow-up:

I successfully ran my 0-4-0 with the throttle limit rod assembly re-attached to the throttle valve disk using a spare tie strip screw from a piece of track.

I didn’t tighten down on the screw as I was concerned with bottoming out the screw on the throttle valve body or binding the throttle valve disk, so I will need to keep an extra close watch on this connection. I also added 4 additional screws to my maintenance list (2 limit switch stop screws and 2 universal joint screws) that I saw with the loco’s bottom cover removed.

Dennis