Searching for Parts...

Michael Anders
Associate Member

Searching for Parts...

Post by Michael Anders » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:47 am

Hello all! I started collecting Aristocraft exclusively in late 2011, but I am still working on the layout and acquiring pieces. I recently purchased a locomotive and immediately damaged it :mad: . So, I was wondering if there is anyplace on the "forum" to list what I am looking for to see if anyone has extra parts or a locomotive to use as a parts unit for sale or trade? I have already checked with Navin at Crest and he was able to help me with some of the parts. I want to find out what is allowed here before I post anything :D . Thanks!

Gareth Palmer
Associate Member

Re: Searching for Parts...

Post by Gareth Palmer » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:06 pm

Michael, usually a member asks if anyone knows a source for... Be specific with what you need, as there are several of us in your shoes, needing parts that are no longer available. Just be specific with the model of loco, and which parts you need. If you can reference the exploded view diagrams, so much the better. If you need a diagram, many can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=21338

or see the post about the diagrams in the General Forum (second post) on the home page.

My experience is that most members that have extra parts are more than willing to share.

Good luck!

Gary

Michael Anders
Associate Member

Post by Michael Anders » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:26 am

Gary, Thanks for the info! One question though, should I post to the General or Kitbashers' forum? Thanks again!

Doug Cannon
Associate Member

Post by Doug Cannon » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:27 pm

Micheal;

I recommend you just continue with this thread as you used a good subject thread, and there is likely over 20 viewers waiting patiently to see what parts you are still looking for !

Glad to hear you were able to connect with Navin and that he had some leftover parts, acquired from Aristo'.

Good luck !

doug c
" G-gauge may not RULE, But it GROWS on Ya !! " djc'99

Michael Anders
Associate Member

Post by Michael Anders » Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:48 am

First of all Thanks Doug! I appreciate your input. I would like to post a few pics of the exploded parts diagrams showing the parts I am looking for, but for some reason I get the message "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached". Did I do something wrong??? I scaled each of my photos well below the 256KB limit. So for now, here are the parts that I am looking for:

My Locomotive: ART-22413 SD-45 Canadian Pacific "Twin Flags" Unit

1 Each #22400-91 (#91 on the EPD) Air Reservoir-Left Hand (Will have a 90 degree bend of pipe on one end and a pipe with a "T" fitting on the other)

1 Each #22400-92 (#92 on the EPD) Air Reservoir-Right Hand (Will have a 90 degree bend of pipe on one end and a pipe with a "T" fitting on the other)

1 Each #22400-104 (#104 on the EPD) Side Frame Complete With Brake Shoes (Mine is missing the detail parts off the side frame just above the rail)

1 Complete Cab Interior (#18, #19 x2, #149, #21 #22, #23, #24, #25 on the EPD) which will include the floor with seat bases, both chairs, engineer, control panel with levers and back panel, the front wall, and rear wall of the cab with labels.

If you happen to have any of these parts and are willing to part with them or if you have a running or not SD-45 loco with these parts please let me know and what you are asking for them. This is a nearly new unit with less that 30 minutes run time. I still can't believe that my clumsiness caused so much damage! These little emoticons :confused: :( :o :eek: :mad: don't even begin to describe how I felt when I realized what I had done. I sincerely appreciate you for taking the time to read this post and for any assistance you may be able to give!

Thanks, Michael Anders

Doug Cannon
Associate Member

Post by Doug Cannon » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:55 pm

Micheal;

How badly did your Air Reservoirs get damaged ? Over the yrs I've suffered 'grabby damage' on a couple of mine where I broke off either/both of the elbow or T end piping. My fix was acquire either brass or copper wire, hobbyhanddrill into both sides of break then some (gorilla glue) on the wire to piece/set together ... at the least it becomes a flexible forgiving reconnection.

Michael Anders
Associate Member

Post by Michael Anders » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:35 am

Doug,

"Grabby" damage just about sums it up! I purchased my "like new" CP Rail "Twin Flags" unit with the engineer and the front windshield loose in the cab. It is so new it doesn't have any wear marks on the wheels. I had never handled an Aristo SD-45 before. So in trying to be careful when I inspected it, I guess I was clumsy. I just didn't realize that the 90 degree and "T" fitting pipe on the Air Reservoirs were so fragile. Fingers in the wrong place just snapped them off. I managed to break off one 90 degree elbow and both of the "T" fittings. Then I proceeded to stick my finger in the open window on the engineer's side of the cab and broke off the levers on the engineers control panel. Since the windshield wasn't in place I then broke off the double windshield wipers too. Oh, I also broke off two of the little pieces of the brake assembly on the side frame that is down next to the rail. At least it was only one side frame. I was just :eek: :confused: :( :o :mad: !!!

I like your idea of using metal rod to replace those pieces, but not sure how to replicate the "T" fitting. I have time to find the correct replacements as I am still in the "hunter/gatherer" mode. I'm collecting locomotives, rolling stock, and track for my modest layout. I've had other scale model railroads and I always find the search to be so much fun.

Sorry for the lengthy reply but I am sure there are those out there who have seen my thread and wondered "What in the world did he do?" to justify searching for those parts. Hopefully someone will have the parts I need and take pity on my sheer stupidity and help me out. I'm willing to pay for my mistakes...

Thanks Again!

Michael

Doug Cannon
Associate Member

Post by Doug Cannon » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:45 am

"... idea of using metal rod to replace those pieces, but not sure how to replicate the "T" fitting. ..."

I actually use the original saved, broken off piece and rejoin them with the thin wire/glue concept.

doug c

Michael Anders
Associate Member

Post by Michael Anders » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:44 am

Doug,
I now understand what you mean. I just don't know if my "drilling" skill set is up to par for it. It is a really good idea. I could even drill an extremely shallow hole (more like a dimple) the same diameter as the pieces broken off on each end of the Air Reservoir and superglue them back on. Each piece would lose the smallest fraction of length that I don't think it would be noticeable. Your idea leaves a flexible connection; if you touch it again, it can be straightened out. My idea it just breaks off again. Any recommendation on the hobby hand drill for this project? I've seen a few, but never purchased one.
Regards,
Michael

Doug Cannon
Associate Member

Post by Doug Cannon » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:19 pm

This is the unit that I bought over a decade ago from LV;

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.a ... ,180,42337

"..I just don't know if my "drilling" skill set is up to par for i.."
if ya can hold your breath for a a couple seconds so your hand is steady long enough to hit/bite the spot you figure will match roughly the opposite surface point, you'll do fine .... since we're not bldg a rocket ship ;)

Even if the glue applied is a tad too much and bleeds over, leave as-is or if hardens enough, lightly file down and paint with your fave black paint or rust(y) !

doug c

p.s.
but then I'm no rivet-counter crawling under the (G-gauge) pc. of rolling stock with a magnifying glass. :)