Frankenmallet one more project done....

Shawn Fields
Associate Member

Frankenmallet one more project done....

Post by Shawn Fields » Sun May 03, 2015 3:42 pm

Guys,
I know it has been a very long while since I have posted anything related to our hobby, so I have finally gotten another project on Frankenmallet done.

while this was a quick project and my first attempt at soldering brass rod, I think once I get it under paint it will look ok.

The open space on the pilot railing has been an issue for me since the monster made it on the roster, first run mallet had to special order him thru my local hobby shop oh those many years ago.

Anyway, I have owned a few of the mallets over the years and this one holds a special place on the roster, heavily modified and upgraded thru the years, his original tender at my last known location is sitting on a siding somewhere in GA on our beloved track inspectors layout (RJ's)

Here's my attempt at adding the cross supports on the pilot railings.

and one of the few front pics I have of him before the added cross bars

let me know what you guys think and any pointers on doing brass work would be most welcome. :)

Peter Eaton
Associate Member

Re: Frankenmallet one more project done....

Post by Peter Eaton » Mon May 04, 2015 10:16 am

Looks great but about ten minutes of filing the solder blobs will make it look even greater. Pete

Shawn Fields
Associate Member

Post by Shawn Fields » Tue May 05, 2015 3:56 am

actually Pete, It took about 45 mins with a nail file "borrowed" from the wife to get it un-blobbed and shaped to how i want it to look, tomorrow it goes under paint for the final touch, I will post a few pics of the after filing and a few after paint and a few after installation back on the pilot.
Last edited by Shawn Fields on Wed May 06, 2015 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Until Later,
Shawn
Chief Track and Signal Maintainer On The Bluestone Branch in the Pocahontas Division of the Old N&W.

And President of the Elsie (Elevated Live Steam & Electric) Rwy Club http://elsierwy.webs.com/

R.J DeBerg
Associate Member

Post by R.J DeBerg » Tue May 05, 2015 11:43 am

Looking good Shawn. BTW Shawn your tender now resides behind my new Pacific and is lettered for CNW. Looks good too. Later RJD
President and Chief Engr Dakota and Southern

Shawn Fields
Associate Member

Post by Shawn Fields » Wed May 06, 2015 12:19 am

R.J DeBerg wrote:Looking good Shawn. BTW Shawn your tender now resides behind my new Pacific and is lettered for CNW. Looks good too. Later RJD
That's awesome RJ, Glad its still in revenue service.

Shawn Fields
Associate Member

Post by Shawn Fields » Wed May 06, 2015 12:26 am

Ok, so after some fine filing and touch up here is the pilot railing before paint.

And one after Paint

One before re-installation

And Finally back in place on the pilot deck and looking even bulkier than ever. :D

I think as my first attempt at doing any type of brass modeling it turned out ok, I think as time goes on and I do more of this it will hopefully get better :rolleyes:
Until Later,
Shawn
Chief Track and Signal Maintainer On The Bluestone Branch in the Pocahontas Division of the Old N&W.

And President of the Elsie (Elevated Live Steam & Electric) Rwy Club http://elsierwy.webs.com/

Ed Headington
Associate Member

Post by Ed Headington » Wed May 06, 2015 2:05 pm

I think you do pretty darned good work already, Shawn!

Ed

Shawn Fields
Associate Member

Post by Shawn Fields » Wed May 06, 2015 11:02 pm

Ed Headington wrote:I think you do pretty darned good work already, Shawn!

Ed

Thanks Ed :D

KenBurkinshaw
Associate Member

Post by KenBurkinshaw » Thu May 07, 2015 3:23 pm

Shawn
That looks really good for a "first attempt". Like anything, "practice makes perfect". Having the right tools really helps too. I assume you used a heavy soldering iron. If you start to do a lot of brass construction, you may want to consider a resistance soldering set up. With resistance soldering, only the point of fabrication heats up, and you have less residual solder at the joint. When you visit this summer, we can spend some time using my set-up to practice some basic techniques.

Shawn Fields
Associate Member

Post by Shawn Fields » Thu May 07, 2015 8:10 pm

KenBurkinshaw wrote:Shawn
That looks really good for a "first attempt". Like anything, "practice makes perfect". Having the right tools really helps too. I assume you used a heavy soldering iron. If you start to do a lot of brass construction, you may want to consider a resistance soldering set up. With resistance soldering, only the point of fabrication heats up, and you have less residual solder at the joint. When you visit this summer, we can spend some time using my set-up to practice some basic techniques.
sounds like an awesome plan to me Ken. :D