Mechanical Bell Actuator?

T L Hutchins
Associate Member

Mechanical Bell Actuator?

Post by T L Hutchins » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:31 pm

Not sure where to post this. The relay board that Dave Bodnar introduced works in conjunction with the sounds when they are enabled, at least on the base station. Assuming that it will work with the onboard revolution I am looking for a simple to make or inexpensive store-bought bell mover to provide a little action with the sound. My trains need more complication.

Does anyone know of such an animal?
---Hutch

MParsons
Associate Member

Wireless Remote Action

Post by MParsons » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:29 pm

Try instlaling a Phoenix Remote Uncoupler servo or a Kadee Remote Uncoupling server with the servo hooked to the bell instead of the dummy bell wire, and possibly a spring to return the bell when the servo releases. Both can be hooked to move anything, not just a coupler, and at least the Phoenix and maybe the Kadee can be triggered from the TE.

I am in the beginning stages of installing these on several of my engines, particularly the steam engines in the roomy tenders and in the larger diesels.

T L Hutchins
Associate Member

Post by T L Hutchins » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:09 pm

Sounds good. Having been wanting to try the Phoenix model anyway.
---Hutch

George Councill
Associate Member

Post by George Councill » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:42 pm

If you want more complications in your railroad action:

Due to the high cost of gold and rising unemployment in Ireland; many of the "little people" are seeking employment overseas. They will work for room and board, pocket change and booze. That is not as bad as it sounds because a bottle of Irish whiskey will last them a long time because they are, well, "little people".

They can handle couplings, bell ringing, switch operations, etc. Just don't get on their bad side! :D:D:D
George

Councill Bluffs RR, Where the B&O, WM, & SRR meet the Short Lines.

T L Hutchins
Associate Member

Post by T L Hutchins » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:16 am

Maybe I should stick with mechanical? I remember my Grandfather when he had a touch of Scotch, or Irish, or Corn in him. His intententions were excellent, but his follow-through was, well, often less than ideal.
---Hutch

Adam Dziuk
Associate Member

Post by Adam Dziuk » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:19 am

Ha Ha Ha, Hutch and George, that's classic!

But on another note...

Maybe you could come up with a small 5v. motor and gearbox that would turn circular motion into back and forth motion.(just opposite of a steam engine)
Being activated, by the relay, it will keep that bell moving as long as that Revo's aux. function is set to "latch".
I'm not sure if there are some R/C servos out there that will keep rotating as long as there is voltage to them, maybe someone more familiar with R/C has a particular suggestion.
I like your idea for the animation, I'll be interested to see what ideas will surface.

Adam

willis lancaster
Associate Member

bell animation

Post by willis lancaster » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:51 am

Hi Hutch,
Laurie McLean mmr-you tube or
you tube.com/user/scoopmmr
Laurie animates just about anything on a model rr.
shows how he does it also, good stuff.:)
Willis.
willis s lancaster III

T L Hutchins
Associate Member

Post by T L Hutchins » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:19 pm

Not only will his projects make my upcoming steam install take forever, but I see several neat diesel and rolling stock animations to use. Used in conjunction with smoke boards, relay boards and just plain reed switchs these could make me crazier than I am.

Pass the spirits.;)
---Hutch

T L Hutchins
Associate Member

Post by T L Hutchins » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:29 pm

Looks like the small rotary motor is the cheapest way out, but still got to mess with the Phoenix uncouplers...
---Hutch

Alan Lott
Associate Member

Post by Alan Lott » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:37 pm

I would advise against encouraging, leprechauns, pixies, trolls or others of that family being engaged in your railroading operations.

One false move on your part and things can turn nasty.............:eek:
Alan
Member OVGRS

http://www.dartmouthrailriver.co.uk
http://www.buckfast.org.uk
Learn from the mistakes of others. You can’t live long enough to make them all yourself.
Eleanor Roosevelt
US diplomat & reformer (1884 - 1962)