Connie bash 3

Joe Lienau
Associate Member

Connie bash 3

Post by Joe Lienau » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:47 am

This group of pictures has the cherry red tender hooked up to locomotive from the Green Bay Route. The A&W locomotive will eventually be identical. The red tender has a Revo receiver installed along with a Phoenix P8 sound system installed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joe Lienau
the Ahnapee & Western of Downers grove

Alan Lott
Associate Member

Post by Alan Lott » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:51 pm

It all looks good Joe, look forward to seeing it when all work is completed.
Alan
Member OVGRS

http://www.dartmouthrailriver.co.uk
http://www.buckfast.org.uk
Learn from the mistakes of others. You can’t live long enough to make them all yourself.
Eleanor Roosevelt
US diplomat & reformer (1884 - 1962)

Stan Cedarleaf
Associate Member

Post by Stan Cedarleaf » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:40 pm

That looks very, very nice, Joe... Great job... :) :)

The red covered quite nicely....

That's one color I have a difficult time getting to cover completely...
In May 2015, the PCSRR became a Fallen Flag Railroad
http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/stance ... len_x.html

Joe Lienau
Associate Member

Post by Joe Lienau » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:14 am

Stan, I actually had to paint the tender three times. First I stripped the original black coat off. I used 90% rubbing alcohol and an old tooth brush which works really well, does not attack the plastic. Then I used a Kryon flat grey primer, let it dry over night and then sprayed the Krylon red coat on. Shortly after that, the "orange peel" effect became rampant. What a piece of crap it turned out to be. So back to the stripping again which was a little more difficult as some of the primer was a little reluctant to let go. The next time I used Krylon's red "fusion" for plastics with out a primer and it came out really well, as you can see. The decals went on per your instructions and I'm a happy camper. Now to finish up the detail stuff.
Joe Lienau

IVOR SNODDY
Associate Member

Post by IVOR SNODDY » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:52 am

Looks tremendous Joe, the decals really set it of. We are so used with seeing black steam engines but this looks so good on the Connie, mind you the Connie is one of my most favourite Aristo locos, well done.
Ivor Snoddy

Ed Headington
Associate Member

Post by Ed Headington » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:35 pm

Nice to know about the "fusion" paint, Joe. I too have had the orange peel effect on occasion. Very discouraging when it happens!

Ed

Joe Lienau
Associate Member

Post by Joe Lienau » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:30 am

Ivor,
I have researched the history of the A&W #351 locomotive and even talked to one of the actual engineers and he verified the red color but nowhere is there to be found a color picture of the tender and locomotive. I have numerous black and white pictures in a variety poses with the logo but nothing in color.
Joe Lienau

Stan Cedarleaf
Associate Member

Post by Stan Cedarleaf » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:04 am

Joe et/all... I've started having issues with Krylon in some of the colors...

I'm switching over to Rustoleum's Painter's Touch.. Much better covering qualities and the clear satin, gloss and matte are compatible to the decals and to Krylon Crystal Clear satin....

EPA and all the other controlling agencies are getting more and more involved with "stuff".
In May 2015, the PCSRR became a Fallen Flag Railroad
http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/stance ... len_x.html

IVOR SNODDY
Associate Member

Post by IVOR SNODDY » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:35 pm

Joe Lienau wrote:Ivor,
I have researched the history of the A&W #351 locomotive and even talked to one of the actual engineers and he verified the red color but nowhere is there to be found a color picture of the tender and locomotive. I have numerous black and white pictures in a variety poses with the logo but nothing in color.
Joe,
I reckon you got the color and decals "spot on", I've seen some color photos on Wikipedia of the Roads cabooses in the exact same bright read.
Ivor Snoddy