Searching for Paint...

Michael Anders
Associate Member

Searching for Paint...

Post by Michael Anders » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:34 am

Hello All! I have an older 0-4-0 UP locomotive #ART-21306 (black box) that came from the factory without having the bell painted. The whistle and the stand for the bell are painted, just not the bell. I also have a Santa Fe boxcar #ART-46003 (black box) that has a broken step which is painted. The red on the Santa Fe boxcar is a brighter red not the rustier color on the older cars. Can anyone recommend a paint brand or line that is close to the colors used by Aristocraft. I looked at Model Master paints today, but I seem to remember that there was a line of paint a while back that was recommended by other G scalers for being quite accurate. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Michael

Glenn Habrial
Associate Member

Re: Searching for Paint...

Post by Glenn Habrial » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:22 pm

I would just paint the bell brass (gold). even though in real life they were usually made of steel and thus painted black. especially on the switchers they were made cheap as they didn't have to impress anybody like a road engine. As far as a line of paints, that would match Aristocraft I do not recall anybody mentioning it. :rolleyes:

Ed Headington
Associate Member

Post by Ed Headington » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:42 pm

My limited experience with matching paint colors has been pretty much trial and error. I have found over the years though that when I go to a hobby store that has model train type paints, the Aristo paints match VERY close to the real life engine colors, which the hobby store paints do also. I know that in particular the Santa Fe red and Burlington North green matched very well.

Ed

Doug Cannon
Associate Member

Post by Doug Cannon » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:35 pm

I tend to just look at the offerings off the Badger palette of ModelFlex since they are 'non-toxic' !

http://www.badgerairbrush.com/library/P ... Colors.gif
IF your fave hobby shop does not carry it, maybe send Badger a email asking if they could send ya at least one hard copy of the glossy pamphlet.
(i could have p/u a handful at a shop yesterday while in dropping off a couple hundred medium posters for ST'16)

Granted the only painting I've done to even consider a "match" attempt is changing a fleet of (8) Aristo Club 100T hoppers into (4 ea.) LE&C (black) and CN (tuscan red oxide) . . . . when seemingly done were oversprayed with various amounts of weathered engine black, rust and rail brown ... even later some shots of the dregs in the 100G cup, whenever 'finishing up' another piece of rolling stock !

doug c
" G-gauge may not RULE, But it GROWS on Ya !! " djc'99

Michael Anders
Associate Member

Post by Michael Anders » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:28 am

Doug Cannon wrote:while in dropping off a couple hundred medium posters for ST'16)
Doing some advertising for SuperTrain 16' in Calgary? I ran across some info on it the other day. Looks like a very large show! I'd love to go to it and the ECLSTS in York, PA this month. We have a very nice train show in Oklahoma City in December of each year with some great G layout(s). We just don't have any sellers dedicated to G. There are a few pieces here and there and I usually manage to find one to my liking each year, but it just isn't the same as the big shows.

I got out in the garage today and dug out my airbrush. I'm going to run a few jars of water with food coloring added to it the get some practice in before I start touching up some small repair parts. I haven't done any airbrushing in quite some time. Easier to practice with water than to try to paint a finished item cold turkey.

I like the Badger airbrush products, but I'm going to have to find a dealer for the paints in Oklahoma. My local Hobby Town and Hobby Lobby tend to carry the Model Masters (Testors) Enamels and Acrylics.

Thanks for the tips and information! You are a big help!

Regards,

Michael

Michael Anders
Associate Member

Post by Michael Anders » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:56 am

Glenn Habrial wrote:...As far as a line of paints, that would match Aristocraft I do not recall anybody mentioning it. :rolleyes:
After more thorough research, the paint I had heard about was Floquil. I had read somewhere (not necessarily on this forum) that they offered a good line of paint in railroad colors. Now that they have discontinued their railroad color line, I think I'll experiment with several different brands. Doug Cannon, I'm going to start with Badger Modelflex Railroad colors and see how it goes.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Michael

Doug Cannon
Associate Member

Post by Doug Cannon » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:38 pm

"...I like the Badger airbrush products, but I'm going to have to find a dealer for the paints in Oklahoma. My local Hobby Town and Hobby Lobby tend to carry the Model Masters (Testors) Enamels and Acrylics...."

It sounds similiar to Calgary {YYC, home of Supertrain.ca ;) } where for ages the only airbrush paint available was the toxic lineups from the competitors of BAB.

This was till at least up to approx. 5yrs ago when Ken S. acquired a booth at our show co-ordinating with one of the local shops so he could sell his product line at the show. Badge has had a booth every yr since, usually manned by one of his consultants flown up from central u.s.). Even with the exposure and availability at a couple of the local hobby shops, Badger Modelflex still seems a tough sell in this region .... classic, ya can't seem to teach a olde dog new ... imho :)
" G-gauge may not RULE, But it GROWS on Ya !! " djc'99