2016 ECLSTS What gives?

Discussion forum for the Spring ECLSTS.
KenBurkinshaw
Associate Member

2016 ECLSTS What gives?

Post by KenBurkinshaw » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:12 pm

It's the second week in Feb., and I've seen almost no press or Hoopla about the March ECLSTS except the AD in GR. Will this be another year I don't bother to make the six hour car drive to attend? The only new product I've purchased in large scale the last couple of years was from PIKO, and that's because it was an entirely new engine, not made before in G. I cast my model railroading lot in G thirty years ago, and it sure looks like it's at an end from the manufacturer's point of view. Comments anyone?
Last edited by KenBurkinshaw on Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Donohue
Associate Member

Re: 2016 ECLSTS What gives?

Post by Jim Donohue » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:43 am

Ken, I've been wondering when someone would first post a comment on this year's show. The silence has been alarming. I'd like to believe that G-Scale is not dying, since like so many others, I am in too deep and enjoy it so much. I am going on Friday. I suspect that the show date inside Easter weekend has precluded some people from attending. I am not happy about the inclusion of O-scale, but if that is what it takes to keep G going, then so be it.

Cal Best
Associate Member

Post by Cal Best » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:54 am

Publicity is over on Facebook and on the show web site. USA trains made the show cars which are available from Star Hobby in advance of the show and any not sold prior to the show will be available at the show.

Doug Cannon
Associate Member

Post by Doug Cannon » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:35 pm

".... but if that is what it takes to keep G going, then so be it...."

Are ya referring to the hobby in your country, or the ECTS ?
" G-gauge may not RULE, But it GROWS on Ya !! " djc'99

Doug Cannon
Associate Member

Post by Doug Cannon » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:53 pm

IMHO it is not a great idea the principals not posting info regards upcoming ECTS on this forum.
There are still quite a few people that don't partake of mediums such as faceb' , but surf these forums for hobby/ industry updates.

doug c

p.s.

"... it sure looks like it's at an end from the manufacturer's point of view. .."

LGB Piko both announced their 2016 lineup via one of the larger usa east coast train shops.

Sure some others are not so enlightening, but shucks house building starts are down too ..... does that mean residential construction will now be declared dead too, and people will start living in tents, skyscrapers and warehouses !?

I read where during the WWs that model rwy gear production was almost zip but did the 'real' MR hobbyists not keep up their interest and hands-on till things subsequently kick-started again, with new evolving technology and hobby products.

Oh well during the slow or 'bad' times we certainly find out who are the real enthusiasts vs the 'trend-followers' !
" G-gauge may not RULE, But it GROWS on Ya !! " djc'99

John Galt
Associate Member

Post by John Galt » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:26 am

Well, the show is the subject of plenty of promotion and discussion on MLS and LSC.

It is no longer a G scale show, nor an Aristo show, and the other 2 forums are much larger.

So, I don't take it as a surprise that it is getting more exposure elsewhere. No offense to this forum, but this all makes sense.

JG

KenBurkinshaw
Associate Member

Post by KenBurkinshaw » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:22 pm

I too read the other forums. Guys making arrangements to meet each other, visit particular restaurants, etc. is hardly promotion for the show. PIKO announcing a bunch of European models does not really excite me to attend. As far as my interest in model railroading, I spent fifteen years scratch building in brass in another scale, and switched to G when I started to experience sight and fine motor control problems. I can still do that type of work, but it's no longer fun. I enjoy collecting and running trains with my friends, most of whom have died or moved away. SOOO, if nothing is new to see or buy, it' s not worth the six hour drive to attend. If the mfgs don't bother to produce new models, exactly what is the point of a show like this. I can go to many local train show/flea markets within twenty miles of my own home, and be the largest G scale seller in the place!
Lewis Polk was the best cheerleader for G scale and continued to produce even in the most difficult of times.(Remember the LGB lawsuit?) He suffered a lot of abuse because of his promotional style, but it's plain to see the hobby is not the same without him. HO and the other scales still seem to be doing OK, so what's with G?

smcgill
Associate Member

Post by smcgill » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:38 am

Funny how I've seen the venders list but it seems to not made it here! :confused:

John Galt
Associate Member

Post by John Galt » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:33 pm

Well, it is no longer the East Coast Large Scale Train Show for one.

It is the East Coast Train Show:

And here is the exhibitor list (they don't list the vendors separately)

ACCUCRAFT
AMERICAN LAWNLIGHTS
B & B HOBBY
BACHMANN INDUSTRIES
BEACON HILL TRAINS
BRIDGEWERKS
CHARLES RO & CO/USA TRAINS
CORDLESS RENOVATIONS, LLC
CREST ELECTRONICS
DALLEE ELECTRONICS INC.
G SCALE INSTALLATIONS
G SCALE JUNCTION
GARDEN RAILWAYS MAGAZINE
GARDEN TRACKS
GOODIES CHOCOLATE
HARTLAND LOCOMOTIVE WORKS
HOTWIRE FOAM FACTORY
INGALSBE DESIGN LLC
IRON HORSE ENGRAVING
JAMIES COLLECTIBLES
JUST PLAIN FOLK
KITCHEN SAVER
MARKLIN-LGB
MARTIN PAUL INC
MICHAELS CUSTOM WOODWORKING
MIKE SETZER HOBBIES
MULBERRY CREEK HERBFARM
NATIONAL CHRISTMAS CENTER
NICHOLAS SMITH
N PIRE MODELS
PHOENIX SOUND
POLKS NEXTGENERATION
RCS of AMERICA
RLD HOBBIES
REINDEER PASS RAILROAD
REMODEL USA
ROLLING STOCK TRAINS
RULERS OF THE WORLD
SHAWMUT CAR SHOPS
SPLIT JAW PRODUCTS INC
STAR HOBBY
STEVEN BITTINGER & ASSOCIATES
STOKE'M & SMOKE'M ****
THE TRAIN DEPARTMENT
TMM SYSTEMS
TRAIN-LI-USA
TUSCARORA CREEK MINIATURES
VANCOS LOG DOLLHOUSES
VES ENTERPRISES
WEST VIRGINIA RAILROAD
WOO WOO EXPRESS COMPANY

Ed Headington
Associate Member

Post by Ed Headington » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:08 pm

Looks like a pretty good list of vendors to me! I just wish it wasn't 1100 miles from my home!!

Ed