Harry's SOAP BOX

Discussion forum for the Spring ECLSTS.
Harry Hartman
Associate Member

Harry's SOAP BOX

Post by Harry Hartman » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:55 pm

Most of the postings on here will be removed shortly so I can make room for the 2014 information.

I am already getting requests for INFO on the 2014 Spring ECLSTS so we will NEED to get it up and running very soon.

When the time is approprate, we will announce the 2014 ECLSTS Show Car and Show Tee Shirt.

But many of these posting on the SPRING Forum will be deleted soon. I may leave the couple that have links to photos about the 2013 Spring show for Newbeeeeees to see.

Remember, these shows help YOUR HOBBY GROW. You can also help YOUR HOBBY grow too by spreading the word about the hobby, this website, and the show.

The more we share, the more we GROW!

As I have been on my soap box before MANY MANY TIMES, I, personally, dont think we do enough 'showing' with the starter sets. The, never over night, well developed, several years in the making displays are B E A U T I F U L but I think we tend to scare some of the new people away with 'Sticker Shock' and ability to build something that great. Many newbees do not know that most of these beautiful displays started with starter set.

I think articles need to be written about starter sets and submitted to GARDENING Magazines as well as Garden Railways Magazines.

Thanks to all for your support of our shows (The East Coast Large Scale Trains Shows), "The Place to Be for G!"

Doug Cannon
Associate Member

Post by Doug Cannon » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:09 pm

Thanks for the warning Harry !

Good idea leaving the threads with pics links.

Our "supertrain" webmaster leaves the embedded slideshow up and running till the next yrs show updates exactly for the same reason as you stated, to give new potential attendees an idea of what it's all about !!

Just don't stay up on the soap box tooo long, the air is always thinner up here !

doug c

"G-gauge may not RULE, But it GROWS on YA !! " djc'99

JGallaway81
Associate Member

Post by JGallaway81 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:17 am

Harry, you have an excellent point. I got my kids their first trains already, two of which are thomas sets (Sorry aristo). But, knowing I intended to take them outside with me when I go to build my mainline empire, I decided to make it so they could run outside too. I first replaced the track in their starterset with Aristo stainless steel curves, and attempted to fill out the oval I built them last year with stainless steel at the ECLSTS... unfortunately none for me to find.

The point is, I got them interested, and piece by piece, as I could afford the stainless steel investment, I upgraded them to running outside with me. My wife has a snowflake eggliner and my oldest daughter has a butterfly eggliner, while the boys and the youngest girl have thomases.
J.D. Gallaway - http://about.me/jgallaway81
---------------------------------------------
A Division of the Freedom Central Corporation (FCCorp.US)

Bob DeForge
Associate Member

Dates for ECLSTS 2014

Post by Bob DeForge » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:09 pm

Have the dates for the Spring 2014 ECLSTS been posted yet?

I can't seem to find them.

Bob

Alan Lott
Associate Member

Post by Alan Lott » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:52 pm

Don't think so: but that doesn't stop you guys over there saving all your pennies. :D
Alan
Member OVGRS

http://www.dartmouthrailriver.co.uk
http://www.buckfast.org.uk
Learn from the mistakes of others. You can’t live long enough to make them all yourself.
Eleanor Roosevelt
US diplomat & reformer (1884 - 1962)

John Axle
Associate Member

Post by John Axle » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:31 pm

Bob DeForge wrote:Have the dates for the Spring 2014 ECLSTS been posted yet?

I can't seem to find them.

Bob
Here you go Bob.
;)
http://trc.trains.com/events.aspx?page= ... ntid=18266

John,
V.P.I.C.
Hudson Valley Large Scale R.R. Club
Woodstock/Kingston N.Y.
Est. 2008

Harry Hartman
Associate Member

Post by Harry Hartman » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:36 am

John, I believe it was posted in the last two issues of the INSIDER. It is on the books for March 21 & 22, 2014.

Bob DeForge
Associate Member

Spring ECLSTS 2014

Post by Bob DeForge » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:15 am

Thank you for passing along this information.

Bob

Mark Oles
Associate Member

Post by Mark Oles » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:32 pm

Harry:

I agree, starter sets are the key to getting people in the hobby. Otherwise, it is too much information and too many options. Simplicity is the key.

Since you've not announced a 'show car', how about a show special Starter Set? If the SW1 was available, perhaps that'd be quite a hit...

Pat McCarty
Associate Member

Post by Pat McCarty » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:20 pm

I'm with you on this one, Mark.

I got my start in large scale with a starter set from another manufacturer that I purchased at

a warehouse store for the "Train around the Christmas Tree," over twenty years ago.

The sets have to some way be reasonably priced, yet have atleast an oval of track rather

than the circle that comes with the present day versions.

And while we're at it, how 'bout another tank car for the show car. I heard they were a hit

when offered in the past.

Pat McCarty
CEO/CFO Roisin & Owen RR (aka the roundy round rr)
and stockholder
SUNY/Purchase