I'm Back

Ronald Wenger
Associate Member

I'm Back

Post by Ronald Wenger » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:13 am

For what ever its worth, I am back. After a too long of an absence I am back. My grand children pestered me to get the trains that I kept out of the basement for them to run. This past weekend we ran the trains on the "Crooked & Weedy Railway Version 3" I had to get an outstanding carpenter and his wife, both of whom are Large Scaler's to build the bench work as most of it is off the ground.

Many of you remember that I was having some medical problems and the last two ECLSTS that Sue and I did, I ended up spending a week on my back in bed. I retired from my day job in 2005 and from doing the East Coast Large Scale Shows in 2006. It turned out that I had 5 of the 15 Agent Orange related diseases from my Military Service in Vietnam. One of those is Multiple Myeloma which is a blood and bone cancer. Some days I have to use a Walker to get around and others I just muddle on through. in 2006 the VA declared me 100% Permanent and totally disabled, they also gave me two years to live. Well as a testament to my being stubborn I am still here 11 years later.

Everything (All of the Aristo Craft Products) I have had stored in the basement have worked after setting for all that time, all the locomotives, power supplies ect, however all 3 of my train engineer transmitters are dead. I know the receivers are working because I can set code, but all of the Fast buttons are dead. Is Navin still doing repairs? I have called him a couple of times this weekend and left messages but no response. The new layout goes from 0 elevation on one end to over 5 feet in the air at the other end and is built with no grades on the layout, but when finished it should have plenty of mountain passes and bridges over chiasms and rivers. We opted to go with a single track over 250 feet long with no switches. We are going to have close to 100 feet of trolley line down the back side as soon as I get busy and lay the track.

I don't know if I would be doing this again except for the grandchildren. But then I had as much fun watching them as I used to have doing it. I gave up 6 weekends at the rifle range to get this done. I guess I am going to have to go back to shooting on Tue or Thur.

Ronald (Ron) Wenger
Crooked & Weedy RY

wayne jardine
Associate Member

Re: I'm Back

Post by wayne jardine » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:56 am

Ron

Glad to hear that you are still able to play a litte with the train I'm real glad see you up and a round :D :D
Yes Ron Navin is still around he will call back during the week I hope

Doug Cannon
Associate Member

Post by Doug Cannon » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:40 am

Glad to hear you're back ... the grandchildren are terrific getting ya to pull out the railroad again !

Every so often I've wondered where you had disappeared to ... I actually thought of ya today when tapping the arm on a hallmark ornament the arm is part of locomotive engineer in front of a shack.. which starts a tune to play ...

All the best ,

Doug C
YYC
" G-gauge may not RULE, But it GROWS on Ya !! " djc'99

Jonathan Polk

Post by Jonathan Polk » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:03 am

Hi Ron,

Good to hear from you! Welcome back!

Jonathan

Alan Lott
Associate Member

Post by Alan Lott » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:40 am

Hi Ron,
WOW! Three great achievements: you kept going long past 2006 and are here to prove it, you got a another railroad up and running and finally you have those grandchildren to help share it.
Welcome back.
Alan
Member OVGRS

http://www.dartmouthrailriver.co.uk
http://www.buckfast.org.uk
Learn from the mistakes of others. You can’t live long enough to make them all yourself.
Eleanor Roosevelt
US diplomat & reformer (1884 - 1962)

smcgill
Associate Member

Post by smcgill » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:59 am

Ya welcome back ... :)

Ed Headington
Associate Member

Post by Ed Headington » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:08 pm

Welcome back, Ron!! What a great to treat to read your post. You are certainly a testament to determination and the power of God!!! So glad that you are doing as well as you are, and are back running trains again!! You have been missed.

Ed

larry harrison
Associate Member

Post by larry harrison » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:03 pm

:D Welcome Back Ron. I was thinking of you just last week - wondering of where you were. Very glad to hear you are back to running trains.

wayne jardine
Associate Member

Post by wayne jardine » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:11 am

Ron
Did you hear from Navin

Shawn Fields
Associate Member

Post by Shawn Fields » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:33 am

Wow, Welcome back Ron, glad you are pulling the trains out of mothballs and bringing them back into service.