2-8-8-2 Mallet with the vanderbelt tender

kristinem
Associate Member

2-8-8-2 Mallet with the vanderbelt tender

Post by kristinem » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:41 pm

just recently installed a soundtraxx decoder ECO-400, - after figuring out the DCC socket shares the pinouts with Bachmann, I enabled DC, then when testing, on DC, I noticed the sound increased/decreased as I increased the voltage - I was pulling my power from the aux power/common. as I was running, I apparently gave it too much power burning the card - anyway, my guess without testing is that the aux power is unregulated. -it's a little frustrating as it was very difficult to find any info on the DCC socket and the pinouts for the board in the tender that that is simply labeled the Long tender. - I started with some info that I could find online and worked it out from there. - I presume the I should pull my power from the jumper labeled sound card power.

beyond that, the lighting doesn't seem to respond the way I would expect it too, using the DCC socket, the front lights, when turned on, stay one regardless of the engine direction, I checked the CVs and they are set up correctly to disable turn/on and off as the engine changes directions. the rear worked correctly.

beyond removing the motherboard and using a different board, is there actual documentation somewhere on the pinouts.

additionally. without a DCC card, running DC, and more at speed, there is a weird buzzing sound that seems to be coming from one fo the gearboxes, I haven't found anything talking about that in specific other than possibly something is out sync or is rubbing. any suggestions.

kristinem
Associate Member

Re: 2-8-8-2 Mallet with the vanderbelt tender

Post by kristinem » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:53 pm

apparently, aside from going through a rectifier, the power source from pins 6 & 7 within the DCC socket is unregulated track power - whatever power is being applied to the track, is whatever power is being fed through the pins 6 & 7.

to prevent damaging the card in the future, through using my own voltage regulator, is there any known info on the sound power sockets on the board.
one is labeled fix and the other var, can I assume these are pure DC with the one labeled FIX being dropped to something like 7VDC, whereas the other is variable DC pulling directly from the track power.