Aristo Pacific 4-6-2 NOS

PBinLosAngeles
Associate Member

Aristo Pacific 4-6-2 NOS

Post by PBinLosAngeles » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:12 pm

Greetings once again from the rookie in L.A. - The veterans in here will likely want to slap me, but hey, when ya don't know, ya don't know...
Anyway, in a great stroke of good luck, I've come into obtaining a gentleman's never before run Aristo collection and amongst the pristine items procured for my fledgling endeavor, I've come to have an as new Pacific 4-6-2 and long tender. ART-21400 Series, yellow boxes.
Being the extreme newbie that I am, and understanding I've had this incredible piece for just a couple of weeks (8/7/17) I haven't yet procured an adequate power supply - I'm leaning toward an MRC Power G for what will eventually be a very simple, 150 linear foot layout - to run this big boy.
Right now, all I have are two transformers from Aristo starter kits.
That said, I set up about an 8' length of straight track in my garage when I got this loco home, hooked up one of my starter kit transformers, properly set the loco on the rails just so I could run it back and forth a time or two to appreciate it and all seemed just fine; lighting and even a puff of smoke before I shut the on-board switches down all checked out.
VERY carefully, I sent it up and back a couple times and with the exception of the starboard side marker bulb being broken, which I didn't notice until I powered up, no glitches or problems; here is my question for the veterans out there:
Again, bearing in mind that when I ran it initially all seemed perfect, I have since procured Crest test stand rollers, and running the engine on the stand(s) - acknowledging I'm under amped on my power supply - now NEITHER the remaining intact marker light nor the headlight will illuminate, both of which did when I ran the loco the first time on the garage floor; what have I done? ANY help and of course guidance, GREATLY appreciated.....Also welcoming ANY tips on the market light bulb replacement. Procuring an ART21400-106 bulb will be next to impossible I'm sure.
Regards, and gracious thanks in advance guys,
P.B.

Sonny
Associate Member

Re: Aristo Pacific 4-6-2 NOS

Post by Sonny » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:31 pm

Hi, I have two Aristo Pacifics and love them. Since I run mine outside and do not want to worry about conductivity of my track I converted all my trains to battery power and love it. I use Revolution's Train Engineer receivers and transmitter that can control 50 engines. They are not too complicated to install, but if you do not feel secure enough there are many places that will convert locos for you. Don Sweet of Remote Control Systems of New England is a great guy to do business with. Phone #603-321-1347. If he can't answer the phone , he calls back immediately, He is personable and has talked me thru a few problems I had. Leds are good substitutes for lights and use less amperage.
Good luck,
Sonny

PBinLosAngeles
Associate Member

Post by PBinLosAngeles » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:55 am

Appreciate your input Sonny, and at some point down the proverbial line, I may attempt what you suggest. In the meantime, am simply hoping someone can provide me some trouble shooting tips, and point out the potential reasons my headlight and running light - after illuminating perfectly out of the box - will no longer come one.
Sincerely and respectfully,
Paul...

Cal Best
Associate Member

Post by Cal Best » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:47 pm

Generally speaking a basic 'set power pack' is not sufficient to run much other than a small 'set engine'. If you want to run it by track power you will probably have to invest in a more powerful pack. I had a similar problem which was corrected when I purchased the Ultima. I have since converted much over to battery and Revolution.

Sonny
Associate Member

Post by Sonny » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:43 pm

I have an old MRC Railpower 1300 power pack that must be over 20 or 25 years old left over from my N Scale days that I use to test a loco when I first acquire it. It only puts out about 12 volts, but is adequate enough to run my Pacifics; not at top speed but enough that I know it is working properly and all lighting lit.

Frank Ellington
Associate Member

Post by Frank Ellington » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:53 pm

A "puff of smoke" you mentioned. Sounds like maybe you've fried something.

While it may or may not be an issue in your case, if the engine is not the newest version, the smoke unit should never be turned on without fluid.

The newer versions have an auto-shut off for the smoke generator for if it gets too hot or runs out of fluid.

The manual that comes with the engine will explain.

Frank

Paul Norton
Associate Member

Post by Paul Norton » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:18 pm

There are two switches on the cab floor of the Pacific.
Look in your Owners Manual to see if they are used for the lights.

I used to know this stuff.
But the old disc drive in my skull can't be relied on to pull the information anymore.
Too many old fractured files I guess.

R.J DeBerg
Associate Member

Post by R.J DeBerg » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:03 pm

You mentioned shutting switches down so i'm guessing you turned the lights and smoke off trying turning back on as Paul mentioned. Later RJD
President and Chief Engr Dakota and Southern

zullo74
Associate Member

Post by zullo74 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:21 pm

My first generation Pacific has a motor switch and a lights switch on the cab floor. Left one is lights, right one is motor. Pull them rearward to turn on.
The smoke switch is on the pilot. Forward is on. ;)